Monday, December 3, 2007

I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

I can't believe it's already December. It seems like this whole year and especially this fall just flew by. We are going to Finland for Christmas, which means that I get to have my white Christmas again. It just never feels like Christmas for me unless I'm in Finland where it's dark outside and white snow everywhere. However, this Christmas season is very different from any other Christmas since it will be the first Christmas without my mom. Last Christmas was very special because my mom was going through a bone marrow transplant. It was supposed to be a second chance and the victory over her cancer. My mom spent last Christmas at the hospital and we were there with her most of the time. My dad was so embarrassed as we carried boxes and bags full of presents to her hospital room. My mom was all about Christmas. She would buy Christmas presents throughout the year (so dad couldn't keep track of how much she spent)and decorate the house into a Winter Wonderland. She also had candles burning around the house all the time. I don't think I will ever be as good of a decorator as my mom, but Troy and I have been burning candles in the evenings to bring a peaceful atmosphere and to include mom into our Christmas preparation.

Troy and I spent our first Christmas together with his family. Since I was away from home, my mom made a book with Finnish/our family traditions and recipes. It was a cute present then and now it is truly priceless as I flip through the pages of her ideas and our family traditions. I know you can't really see the picture above too well. It is a picture of me as a 3-year old making some gingerbread cookies and on the opposite page is a gingerbread recipe. It is my great-great grandma's recipe whose name was Evi. My mom was five months pregnant with me on their first Christmas together and when she saw the recipe and her name, she decided that she wanted to name me Eevi.

I can't wait to have my own kids and have them experience the magic of Christmas that I always felt as a child with my mom.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh man, I'm so jealous that you'll have a white Christmas! I love it to be dark and cold and of course snowy outside during Christmas too! How fun that you get to go see you family again! I gave a RS lesson this past Sunday on Traditions, so keep your moms going! It will be so fun to do them with your little ones some day!

The Ensign's said...

Ok. I'm like half way in tears over here. What a wonderful mom you have. That is such a good idea (the book) with pics and recipes of you making them.
I hope you and your family have a wonderful WHITE Christmas!!!
Oh and maybe you should get workin on those kids!!! (hehe I threw that in for Troy!!!)

Unknown said...

That is so special! Have fun in Finland. We really miss you guys!

SMT Family said...

What a beautiful post Eevi. I love that you have such a special gift to remember all of your family traditions. Enjoy being in Finland.

The Palmer family said...

Eevi, That is so wonderful that you get to go to Finland for Christmas and be with your family. It sounds and looks gorgeous. Hey, do you mind if I post a link to your blog on my blog? Thanks

Mimi said...

Eevi - it's Mimi. I just read your entry and it made it me teary eyed. I am so glad you have such a precious treasure from your mom and will be thinking about you this Christmas. Mike's dad is battling the same kind of cancer and we are doing all we can to enjoy every bit of time we can spend together.