Saturday, January 5, 2008

Burning Chapel

Our church chapel in Tampere (my hometown) burned this morning. They don't know if it is an arson or an accident;nevertheless, it won't be in use for a long time. The roof burned so badly that collapsed. All of the kids in my family were blessed in that chapel as well as baptized, my parents were married in there since they wasn't a temple in Northern Europe at that point and my mom's funeral/memorial was held there. It is weird how a simple building can be so much part of your family history. As I was reading about it, I guess that is only the second chapel that has burned worldwide and it will take few years to build another one. It will be interesting to see where the two wards will meet until then since the closest chapel is about an hour away.

4 comments:

Molly said...

I'm really sorry, Eevi. That's so weird, though! I hope it wasn't arson.

Mollie said...

Oh Eevi that is very sad news. Hopefully they are able to figure out what happened.

H.Cook said...

:( :( :( It's great though that the church has the resources to build another chapel again really quickly. Hope you guys are doing well!~

Camille said...

Hi Eevi! I'm sorry to hear about your chapel. Wasn't the other one that burned in Samoa or some island?
Hope you and Troy are happy back home. I love your new hair!