Both of last week's deliveries ended up in C-section because the labor wasn't progressing quickly enough and the baby wasn't tolerating the contractions very well. Plus the doctors worried that maybe the baby was just too big to even be delivered the "old fashioned way". I know that the only thing that really matters in the end is a healthy baby; however, I hope that I will not end up in the operating room when my time comes to deliver this baby. I come home each day from work and I tell Troy about what I saw and tell him to make sure that certain things won't happen unless it is a medical emergency in case I will be too tired or too much in pain to be assertive enough and advocate for myself.
What do you think are the most important factors when it comes to good child birth experience? I know everyone has their own opinion and perspective, I would love to know more about what makes the experience good or bad for a mother. I hope to be sharing many births with women and I feel like the more I know about people's preferences or fears, the better support and education I can give them, which hopefully will result in a better experience for them.
I have about million things to blog about when it come to L&D now but I don't want to overload it since not everyone is into this stuff.
The coolest part of this is that I will be delivering at this hospital so I have been able to see how the hospital works(the lovely policies and protocols of health care), gotten to know which nurses I would like to have in my delivery and see how the different doctors at my practice behave in a delivery situation since there is no guarantee that my doctor will deliver the baby.
9 comments:
Well, you probably know that I would be your biggest fan if you wrote about all your interesting L&D stories. So there's at least one person reading :).
I think that in many ways, what you are doing right now is the best preparation you can get. By the time your turn comes, you will be so educated about your options. I think that's the most important thing - know what your options are, make your choices, and then stick to them. Be assertive. Note that this approach is the same whether you want a natural birth or a medicated birth.
Keep the stories coming!
Good nurses makes a big difference, I think. That's great that you'll know them and get to choose who you will have. I bet that is so cool to get to be a part of that all the time!
I'd be bawling in the delivery room if I was a nurse. Maybe I'm just saying that because my hormone's are outta whack right now anyways, but I about cried just reading about the delivery.
I love birth stories! Do tell more.
Bridget said it just right - education is everything! Know what you want and make sure that everyone else knows what you want! I would also just keep an open dialogue with your OB and express to her what your thoughts are. Ask her questions like, "If this happens, what would she do?" I know that you aren't ensured that your doc will be delivering, but if you've talked about it together, then this should be in your charts and you'll also be in-the-know.
I think you'll be fine! While a C-section was an almost definite outcome for me, I expressed adamantly that I'd "like to try" the natural way...and it totally turned out. Like I said, I talked this over with my OB over and over again and we came up with a plan together that we both felt comfortable with. That made all the difference for me to know what to expect if something unexpected should arise.
I also think that it's those who absolutely DON'T want a C-section end up having to get one! So, just don't worry about it! End goal is a healthy baby and healthy mom, right?
I can't wait to see this bun! He/she is gonna be so awesome!
My only advice is be open to whatever happens. You may have all the education, plans, and hopes in the world... but things happen and turn out way different than you imagined. No one can prepare you for the whirlwind of emotions, physical stress, and exhaustion you'll feel... so just grab your hat and hang on... it'll all come out in the end... no pun intended. :)
i definitely suggest seeing the film "the business of being born". thats how i feel about babies coming into this world. im no hippie but i think moms have more strength than they know; more than doctors know for sure! its a good movie! im so excited for you and troy and i think that is really neat that you get a nice long preview of what its like to have a baby.
I don't have any deep thoughts or insight, just remember you have more strength than you realize. The Lord really does give you strength beyond your own.
I am so jealous you get to be in L&D for your job. Welcoming a child into the world is an amazing miracle to witness.
Can't wait to hear more about your experiences!
check out our site when you get a chance
www.thefamilynichols.com
Ok so I had nooooo stinkin' idea that you were even pregnant!!! I can't believe it?! That is so awesome! Congratulations! I am so excited for you!
I took one of the hospital delivery preperation classes and I asked the Teacher, who happened to be a Doula, if I wanted to deliver naturally what were her tips. She told me to labor at home as long as possible and a good indicator of when to leave for the hospital is when your contractions are so difficult that you cannot have a conversation any longer the most you can make out our a few sentences before the next contraction came. I dont think that indicator is completely necessary but the longer you stay at home the more likely you are to progress. I took some Doula classes and I saw the earlier the women came to the birth center the longer their births were. At home you progress very quickly and at the hospital you just arent as comfortable and your labor slows down.
That is of course only if you believe that you are going to have a normal delivery if you have high blood pressure or any other condition in which you would need medication during the delivery go when you feel your contrations are 5 min apart.
I got to the hospital and I was 8 cm and then as soon as I got to my room my water broke and I was pushing. The pushing was 1 1/2hr which was a little long but it went really well.
Post a Comment