Monday, April 6, 2009

Maternity Clothes


I am being educated by VH1 about the normal spending of regular people and celebrities on maternity clothes. According to them, a regular mom-to-be spends 900 dollars on maternity clothes while a celebrity mommas such as Angelina and Jessica Alba spend 90,000 bucks. 
They also informed me that the celebrities spend about 14,000 dollars on their personal trainer to make them look curvy in the right places and skinny everywhere else.

So far, I have spend 70 dollars on maternity jeans that I wear 5 days a week and one maternity top from Gap for 30 bucks. I have stubbornly worn my regular shirts though they are getting shorter and shorter as my belly gets bigger and bigger.


No wonder women can't escape the pressure of "looking just right" even when they are pregnant. I have noticed that even in my circle of friends, the smaller the pregnant mom is the more "wow" comments she gets and other women seem to envy them. I completely understand that no one wants to gain weight because it's hard work to lose it, but I feel like there is just too much focus on something that is natural and necessary. I am very aware of the numbers on the scale and while I absolutely love my pregnant body, it is hard to not to worry about the numbers. I know it is contradictory to feel confident, excited and secure about the way I look and terrified of the numbers. How does everyone cope with this part of pregnancy? Or how do you think you will react to the weight gain when the time comes?

P.S Sorry if I have already talked about this topic, I don't mean to be repetitive. 

13 comments:

Megan Turnidge said...

Ah yes... the love-hate relationship we can have with our pregnant bodies... sigh. I was *told* I was a cute pregnant gal... that I was "small"... but I never believed anyone. haha

So, I have no good input. :)

Oh, and I definitely did not spend $900 on maternity clothes. That's just CRAZY!

And don't get me started on maternity pants. I hated them with a passion because they wouldn't stay up longer than 20 seconds. I hope yous stay up for you! ;)

Natalie said...

First of all, good maternity jeans that you love are so important, especially if you can wear them every day!
I think just knowing that a healthy weight gain = healthy baby helps to some extent, but you're right--it's hard not to focus on it.

Chelsea said...

If it makes you feel any better I've gained over 35 pounds (yikes) and still have a good 8 weeks to go. My mom freaks out more than I do though, because she's stuck in the trend you are talking about - how every one thinks less is more when it comes to weight. Even though I've gained my fair share, people still tell me I look cute - but I think most pregnant woman look cute because of the beauty of carrying a baby - and who doesn't love babies? I have my days where I feel larger than life, but to me, it's all about my healthy baby and I'll deal with the rest after the little guy is here. Just try to stay positive, even though it is hard, because you know you are doing what's best for you and your baby.

Eevi said...

Chelsea, i think you look great. I can't tell that you have put on those pounds. Plus you have a nice strong husband so you probably feel small no matter what:)

Megan, my maternity jeans are awesome. They have the secret belly so they stay up and are comfortable. You were a cute pregnant girl:) and now you are a cute mom:)

Mimi said...

This is my 4th kid (I'm due the week before you) and I have NEVER spent that much on maternity clothes. Old Navy, Gap, Ross, Kohls, Target - you can get some decent clothes for decent deals. And yes, it is always hard to gain weight (especially when we usually work so hard not too) but it will come off with some work so as long as you being healthy - don't worry - remember your baby needs the weight. Who knows - you might have 10 pounder in there!

Heather said...

I'll be honest, some days I coped with it way better than others. There were the days that I looked in the mirror and saw a beautiful mother-to-be. And then there were other days that I saw every single pound that I had gained. I will ditto everything everyone else has said--and add my agreement that you are an adorable pregnant woman! I think the way I dealt with it best was to remember that after the baby came out was the very earliest the weight could come off. And besides, I would gain twice what I gained to have James. On the other hand, there'll just be some days when nothing helps. Luckily, pregnancy doesn't last forever (even though it seems to)...and then the exercising can begin and the weight will come off.

The Kelseys said...

People always told me that it took 9 months to gain the weight so it should take 9 months to get rid of it. I figured if I accomplished this goal before then I was successful. Luckily it only took me 7 months with Easton to get back to prepregnancy weight. You'll be fine because you like to work out. Yay for jogging strollers!

Dani said...

$900 is crazy!!! I was Idaho last week where it snowed everyday and only had capris and flip flops and I refused to buy maternity long pants! I just bought a pair of maternity jean shorts for $12 at Ross that I love and will probably wear most of the time! It's hard being pregnant at times but like everyone else said, you're only pregnant 9 months and you're almost done and then you can start working to get it off. I always get worried more about what Tanner thinks than myself. I hate it! Oh well huh! The joys! You look great by the way! So cute!

Bridget said...

I wish I could have more of your attitude, Eevi. I accepted it a lot more with my 2nd pregnancy but it was still so hard to gain 50% of my body weight each time. Not just emotionally or looks-wise, but it was physically so hard on my body. Sigh. I know it's necessary but I freely admit to being jealous of people who only gain 10 - 15 pounds.

Eevi said...

Bridget, it is definitely harder to have the good attitude as the pounds keep coming on. And honestly, I would rather gain 10 pounds rather than the 30-35 that I am predicting that I will have joyfully gained by the end of the pregnancy. I guess my point is more that I wish we didnt idolize how tiny/skinny women are during the time when 99% population will not be skinny.

Molly said...

Sheesh, if I had 900 dollars to spend on clothes, I'd buy some diapers or something. I've spent about the same as you. And while sometimes I love my pregnant body, I always close my eyes when they weigh me, and when I'm getting into the shower. Stretch marks make me cry. But you'd think they'd have made them fashionable by now, since women have been having babies for centuries, and no generation has escaped the wrath of the stretch marks. I think you're right about adoring tiny women. Sometimes I think of sitting on them, and then I laugh.

Suzanna said...

I was pretty worried about gaining too much weight because I wasn't sure how my body would respond when I tried to lose it after Luke was born. I gained just over 30 lbs, but miraculously it was gone in just over a month.I don't know how it happened.
The biggest thing for me was to not pig out on junk food and use the excuse of being pregnant to vouch for it. Those were the times a couple extra pounds would creep in. But I don't think it is too big of a deal as long as it is not excessive. You will be amazed at what breastfeeding does for your body.
I can't imagine that you would have any trouble losing the weight afterwards because you have always been fit and are very dedicated to taking good care of yourself.

Oh, I didn't but very many maternity clothes because I am cheap, my other clothes worked for most of my pregnancy and long maternity pants are a rare find.

SMT Family said...

You are looking fabulous! I am going to come and read all of these comments on the rough days! Everyone is right--the numbers don't matter as much as your frame of mind. The weight is going to come, so you just have to enjoy it. The attitude makes all the difference. Skyler gets a crack out of the fact that my belly jiggles like Santa when I laugh--and then that just makes me laugh more. I think it is hard for everyone, no matter the number. For me the trick has been to accessorize. I just feel pretty still when I have on jewelry, make up, and cute shoes.