Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Officially a Stay-At-Home Mom

Last Friday I took the NCLEX, which is a licensure test for nursing, and I passed. This means that I am officially a registered nurse AND I don't have to study anymore. I can concentrate on Saku 100%. Prior to taking the test, I was worried that I wasn't studying enough and I would skip naps to study or I would study while holding Saku and then I felt bad about not interacting with him. So it's kind of ironic to say that now that I have passed my boards and become an RN, I can concentrate on being a mom:) But I love it!

I have to give a shoutout to Troy and my dad for helping me to be as relaxed and well-rested prior to the test. I had pumped enough for Troy to do few of the feedings so I only had to get up once during the night to feed our little guy. Troy also kept Saku in the living room after the 2 am feeding, so I wouldn't wake up to any of the noises that he makes. Dad took care of Saku in the morning so Troy could so stuff around the house.

I was away from home for three hours and I missed my sweet little boy so much. I was so excited to come home and just hold him. For a while Troy and I were thinking that I would go to work in August so I could get some experience as a nurse ASAP and then be home with our kids. I'm so happy that we decided to wait because I cannot imagine leaving Saku right now. He is still so tiny and I feel like I need to be home with him. Though I'm sure that it doesn't get any easier to leave him as he grows and starts to develop his own personality and skills.

Saku is constantly stuffed up. He's not sick, but his nose is so stuffy. I wonder if it's all the fans that we have on to keep the air cool. I keep putting saline drops into his nose and we have a humidifier in the bedroom, but it hasn't helped too much. Any advice that the experienced moms can share with me? I know he is OK, but I still hate to listen to his "stuffy" breathing and snoring.


Sweet onesie from my dear friend Neha, with the chemical structure of oxytocin. Yes, we are nerds.

I think he looks like a puppy dog here:)

9 comments:

The Ensign's said...

Congrats! I bet it's soooo nice to have that over with.
The pic of Saku sleeping is adorable. What a cute little boy.

Jill said...

After you put in the saline drops, make sure you wait a minute or two and then use a bulb aspirator to suck everything out. Sarah was stuffy when she was a newborn, but it will go away. It's just because their nasal passages are so small. Congrats on being a stay-at-home-mom!

Brittany Cornett said...

I second the nose sucker suggestion. Congrats on passing!

EmmySue said...

Yeah! No more studying! I remember going back to work when Alexis was 6 weeks old... and looking back on it... I WAS CRAZY! Six weeks is still so tiny. I am happy you can stay home and enjoy this time. And the onsie is AWESOME with the drug compound on it. David would love one in his size... :)

Lilianne said...

Lois had a stuffy nose, too! I third the nose suction. They don't like it very much, but it totally works! (make sure to use the nice big one that the hospital sent home with you - not the ones you can buy at BRU) - they work MUCH better! I also asked her pediatrician and he said they are fine - they are breathing okay and everything. Still, I think I felt better about sucking them all out. Just like Jill said, put the saline in, let it sit for about a minute and then suck them out!

Congrats on passing your test! I knew you'd do GREAT! And hooray for awesome husbands and dads! :-)

Heather said...

Congratulations again on passing! We are so excited for you. (All Paul could say is "Eevi is a genius. Wow!") Anyway, I can't say I have advice for the stuffiness. James had that for seriously about 6-8 months and the doctors would comment on it each time we went in for a wellness checkup, but would tell me it's normal and there's not much you can do except the saline drops and the sucker. :(

Kat Clark said...

Yay for you! I know this sounds gross but in Hawaii some of the local women will suck the boogers out of their babies noses with their mouths. I guess it depends on your upbringing and how desperate you get. I have never been that desperate before myself but then again, I can't remember either of my kids being severely stuffy.

Camille said...

I thought my last day of work before having Trevor would be really sad but instead I was surprised to feel grateful. I was happy to become a mom and thankful for the little school/work experience I had. I'm sure Saku is happy you are with him right now also. :)

Mollie said...

I LOVE that onesie. Oh and you and your adorable family!!! What a sweet little boy.