Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Aching Feet and Happy Heart

The reason for my aching feet and happy heart is the fact that I worked two days in a row and had incredibly busy 12-hour shifts and my poor feet are so sore and tired; however, my heart is happy because I get to just hang out for almost three weeks:) I had actually had a great time at work because my patients were nice and appreciative of my efforts to provide good care, which definitely does not happen all the time. An elderly man was discharged yesterday and as he took him out to his car, his wife and he both hugged me. I took care of him on Monday and Tuesday and he was so fascinated by the fact that I was from Finland and he would ask questions about everything. Sometimes people can be creepy when they ask personal questions but he was just so sweet and it was fun to form a little friendship with him. I would tell my patients how I'm leaving to Finland on Thursday morning and they would just get so excited for me:) I think sometimes people think I'm younger than I really am and they didn't realize that I'm married so they were probably thinking "this poor little young girl is so far away from home". This is obviously true, but Troy and I are so blessed to be able to visit my family twice a year. We spent a month there last April-May and now we will be there for two and half weeks so we are getting our Finland time in.

So I have been kind of lame in the past two Christmases and I haven't done much of Christmas stuff around our home nor have I send Christmas cards to people. My mom was terrible at getting cards in the mail and I guess I'm just like her in that aspect. So I am already planning about all the fun and nice things that I will do for my friends and for us next year. If anyone has any cool traditions or ideas, I'm wanting start some new traditions with Troy.

So school is over and now I only have three more semesters to go. Somehow psychologically this makes a huge difference from having four semesters left. I will graduate eventually! At least I have some good friends in the program and my lovely Starla at BYU who will be graduating at the same time as me, so I feel like my pains and joys of nursing school are shared:)

I don't have any new pictures to post. I should have taken some as we visited Troy's parents for Christmas. Since we will be missing the actual Christmas with them; we drove up to Phoenix to see them. We had a good time and actually got to open presents already. Now we have a printer that works. We ran out of ink last summer and we were too lazy to buy some for a while. So we finally got our act together and bought the right type of ink and the printer totally stopped working. So I have been printing all my papers and lectures for school at Troy's work. Well he would print them for me since I can't enter the building because of the lack of U.S Citizenship on my part. As you can imagine, some mornings were little stressful as I would drop Troy off to work, he would run up to his floor and start printing stuff and hope that no one else was printing at the same time. I would wait in the car and watch the minutes go by as I waited for my papers. So needless to say, we are both happy to have a new printer!

For the record, I pretty much slept 11 hours last night. Poor Troy had to go to work this morning for one more day while I just turned under the covers. I think I'm going to like working part-time after I graduate; working twice a week does not seem so bad right now:)

Im off to pack, clean and do some last minute shopping. I think my next post should be in Finnish since I'll be in Finland; when in Finland, do it like the Fnnish people(however, this would mean kind of anti-social behavior and lots of beer, so maybe I'll past)

3 comments:

Dani said...

Oh have so much fun over there in Finland with your family! Merry Christmas!

Mollie said...

oh girl you crack me up. I love reading your blog. I'm glad you got some appreciation from your patients! Have fun in Finlandia!!!!

Molly said...

Have so much fun! I'm glad you get to go. Oh, one of our new traditions is new pajamas on Christmas Eve. And my old tradition is all the kids sleeping in the same room on Christmas Eve, like a sleepover.