Thursday, July 17, 2008

I like my job but I love my off-days

I feel blessed to have a job that on most days makes me feel happy and satisfied. The perk of being a nurse(or working with a nurse for the summer) is that you only work three days a week. Obviously our shifts are 12 hours and you are exhausted by the time you get home, but you have four days off. I have been enjoying my off-days so much since I discovered that I can reserve books online on the library website. Yes, I am so nerdy. I reserved 11 books at one time and happily started going through them. So far I have read almost four of them in the last week. 


I have also gone to the high school pool and Troy has joined me for swim workouts. Today I swam 800 meters and he did 500 meters. It's lot more fun and less embarrassing to have someone there with me. I always feel like I'm trying to escape the Arizona summers and hide inside my house with A/C on and it feels great to actually enjoy the heat while swimming.

I also met up with one of my nursing school friends at the Reid Park Zoo. She was babysitting so I tagged along for some animal watching.  We got there around 9 am and I was shocked to see how many moms/grandmas and few dads were there that early with their kids.  It must be the place to be!

Elephants used to be my favorite animal, but I'm thinking that Giraffes are ever cooler. I haven't seen a live one for few years and I had forgotten how beautiful they are. Two of the giraffes were doing some hugging and "dancing" with their necks. They have some flexible necks. 

9 comments:

H.Cook said...

Two books about giving birth? Is that a hint, or something for nursing? :) You look great Eevi, I wish I could see you!

Eevi said...

I want to be a labor and delivery nurse and also i'm very interested in different perspectives on labor. However, one of these days I will hopefully be in labor myself so it's for personal interest as well. But the books were not meant as a hint:)

Starla said...

haha...shows how observant I am- I didn't even notice there were labor books. :)

Those glasses are so cute on you! Congrats on your new hot school-girl look!

Molly said...

12 hour shifts are horrendous, but I'm glad you're liking your job! You should tell us which books you liked, so we can read them, too!

OC DADDY said...

Giraffe's indeed are a standout animal. My new favorite (new as of 2002) is the otters. They are just so busy and fun to watch.

Bridget said...

Ooh, tell me how you like Giving Birth and Birth. The latter is one of my favorites.

Camille said...

Wow, you are a fast reader! The new glasses look great. I would do my make-up the same, but I'm no expert!

Jack said...

Giraffes are my favorite zoo animal too. They really are so pretty and it always amazes me how big they are. Let me know what books you recommend--birth books and otherwise.

Natalie said...

Oops...that last comment was from me, not Jack. He was still signed in on the computer :)