Friday, July 3, 2009

Two Full Weeks



We had our two week appointment this Monday and our little guy had gained 9 ounces in five days.  He inherited Troy and my talent for eating. He is now 8 lbs and 2 ozs, 21 inches and his head is still 37 cm. He is in the 50th percentile for everything. He eats every 2-3 hours for 20-30 minutes. It's nice that he is getting more efficient with the feedings, because it used to take close to 45 minutes for him to eat. It's not that I don't enjoy breastfeeding but 45 minute feeding at night was little long. The only complaint I have about breastfeeding is my neck and shoulder muscles are so tight; I must have bad posture when I feed him. I have been able to speak Finnish to him about 80 % of the time. It's more difficult for me to feel "normal" about speaking Finnish to him when I'm around other people. 

Last two nights have been magical in our home. Our little boy slept four hours in a row, woke up to eat and went right back to sleep and slept another three hours. I kept waking up because I am so used to our every two hour wake-up calls and couldn't believe that he was still sleeping. I even woke Troy up to let him know that our little man was doing so well. I'm not sure how much Troy appreciated my 2 am report. Obviously it's only been two nights, but I think the fact that we have swaddled him really tightly has helped him sleep more soundly. 

On Wednesday a photographer came over to take some baby pictures. She was with us for two hours and we had a crying baby for an hour and 45 minutes. He finally fell asleep about 5 minutes before she had to go. It was classic. I was getting so stressed out because he wouldn't calm down and when he would calm down, we would try to have him in some pose or just unwrapped and he would get so mad. We've only seen few of the pictures, but so far we are loving them. 

My recovery has been pretty good. I can't wait to get back to running, but I don't think my body is ready for that yet. We have started walking around the neighborhood park in the mornings. I've lost about 22 pounds, but I know my body will never again be the same. I have to lose another 6 inches of my waist to be back to my pre-pregnancy measurements. It's amazing how much pregnancy changes your body. 

We are about to go and pick up my dad from the airport! It will be so nice to have my family around for the next three weeks. I just feel sorry for them that they will have to endure July's heat. 

7 comments:

Emily said...

I didn't ever get to say congrats, so here it is..CONGRATULATIONS! He is so cute! He was born on my birthday which makes me like him even more! I am a firm believer in wrapping those babies up. I have had good babies, and I think that is why.

Things just keep getting better and better as time goes on. Enjoy!

Emily

Natalie said...

I love that picture and can't wait to see more! Glad you guys are doing well!

Chelsea said...

I'm so jealous - my baby does not sleep well at all. He's very pleasant and just looks around the room, but makes all kinds of noises, so I can never sleep unless I just rock him and we both fall asleep in the chair. I don't think I've laid in my bed more than 2 hours at a time since Kyler was born!

Kelly said...

I love that picture of you and your little boy. Too adorable for words!

Camille said...

What a great photographer! I'm glad your little guy finally got a few minutes of camera time.

Kat Clark said...

I can't wait to see the rest of the pictures! This one is so great! BTW, you shouldn't feel weird about speaking Finnish! I think it is so awesome and I wish Michael had stuck to speaking Portuguese with Jack. If people look at you it's because they are jealous and think it's so cool not because you are weird. Promise.

Unknown said...

wow that picture is fantastic! But I have to say until I read the part about the photographer I thought Troy had taken it. With his fancy new camera.