Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Confessions of the Working Mom

First of all, it is weird to think that I am a working mom. Second, it is very hard to juggle work and family. Third, I am so incredibly grateful for our families and friends who have offered to help us out during the first few weeks as we adjust to this new schedule.

Life has been way too busy for my taste. It has been difficult to balance a new job, training for the relay, figuring out a new calling (working with the Young Women) and trying to see my boys as much as possible.

I am not going to lie; there have been few mornings when I have woken up before 6 am and I just want to go back to the way life used to be. I hate being away from my little boy. Today I actually drove home to spend half an hour with him during my lunch break and it was so worth it. I seriously drive way too fast to get home as soon as possible after work. When Saku wakes up earlier than usual in the morning, I don't mind it because it means that I get to spend little more time with him.

I know it sounds contradictory, but I have also enjoyed using my nursing knowledge and learning more. I love using my brain in a different way than being a mom requires me to use it. If it wasn't for the fact that I was away from Saku, I would absolutely love my job.

Do I find working more enjoyable or full-filling than being at home? No way. If I had to work five days a week during the day, I think I would quit. However, I think that working three nights a week will be much better as I won't feel like I'm missing as much of my baby's life. Troy has asked me few times whether I regret my decision and I honestly don't. I feel like it is still the right decision for us. It is just a reminder that the right thing is not always the easy thing. I believe that Heavenly Father has blessed me with the knowledge and desire to take care of people when they are sick and need someone to show them kindness and help them heal both physically, emotionally and mentally.

Can I also just say how much I love the stage that Saku is in. He is so happy and fun all the time. Remember when I thought that he would be a "difficult or more demanding baby", I was wrong or maybe he has just grown out of it. My boy is such a sweet little man. My prayers have also been answered as he has done really well with Heather and my dad when they have taken care of him.

So i am tired, little sad each day as I leave home, excited about the opportunities, grateful and so in love with both of my boys.


Our ragnar relay is starting tomorrow at 10:30. Stay tuned for how our rocking relay team does!

6 comments:

Brittany Cornett said...

good luck on the race! I am glad things are more or less working out with the job. Sounds like a sweet schedule.

Molly said...

I'm so proud of you for making this work! You're a supermom.

Bridget said...

So interesting. And good luck on the race! I can't wait to hear about it.

Suzanna said...

Good luck tomorrow! It is really hard to work. I worked nearly full-time the first 6 months of Luke's life and now I just work part-time from home. It is really tough, especially as they get older and learn so many new things and really interact with you. I think it's good though to have a little variety because you come back to being a mom with a renewed excitement to be with your kid. Everything will be grand! You're amazing!

Unknown said...

dont you think there should be special speed limits for parents? we should be able to drive 20 mph faster if you have a screaming kid in the car or are trying to get home to one, hah!

Ashley said...

Good luck as you adjust to your new life as a working mom. And also good luck!!! on your race! Can't wait to hear all about it! Hey, can you email me those pics from our brunch? Miss you!