Monday, August 16, 2010

Happy Six Months To Me!!

Yesterday marked the end of my six month probationary period at UMC aka I have worked there for six months. This is exciting for two reasons. First and foremost, now I can use my PTO. I have never had a job with paid time off. I can't wait to take my first vacation in September and get a pay check when I am NOT at work. Oh the small joys of life. Also, UMC has a rule that if you quit or are fired before six months is over, you are labeled as "non-rehireable", which obviously would not be a good label to have. There was a time period where I was seriously counting down days until I would reach the six month mark, because I thought that I would have to quit because of my physical and emotional condition at the moment. Fortunately, I survived it and I am doing well.

Last six months have been adventure. There were few months that I really struggled. The last month or so, I feel like I have finally become a nurse. Don't get me wrong. I was practicing perfectly safely before. I get along with most of my patients really well. I haven't had any problems, but for few months, you almost feel like you are playing a nurse even though you are qualified for the job. This past week, I had to go and work at another unit, which is a step down cardiac unit and I survived it. Strange unit, with strange people and different drugs and patient history and I got compliments from the manager for being such a competent new nurse. This is huge for me since I am always questioning my abilities as a nurse. Yeah, I am a little bit hard on myself.

Things I have loved about the last six months
-trip to New York and having Anna with us
-doing the Ragnar and sharing this experience with fabulous friends
-having dad stay with us and take care of Saku
-having Barb and Makayla stay with us and take care of Saku
-finding out that we will have another baby--and then finally being free of nausea after 12 weeks
-learning to trust myself as a nurse and gain more knowledge
-realizing that while I question my skills as a nurse, I am blessed with a knowledge and assurance that I am a good mom, so I don't stress over that
-new friendships that I have developed and an old friendships that have been strengthened
-trips to San Diego and Wyoming
-finding out that baby#2 will have at least three friends and a cousin born within a month or so of my due date

Things I wish I could have skipped
-being really down and sick for two months
-crying and driving Troy crazy with my worries and doubts about work
-Saku's new hobby of throwing lovely tempter tantrums. What should I do about them??
-working three nights in a row and going to church afterwards and feeling like I was dying a slow death

I am looking forward to the next six months. It will be Troy's last semester of school. I will most likely(99.9% sure) quit working and return to being home. It will be fall and winter time so Tucson will gain some of our love again. Being part of Amanda's wedding party with Christina and Megan. I have never been a bride's maid before. We will celebrate our 5 year anniversary and Troy's 30th birthday. I will gain 25+ pounds. Wait, I am not looking forward to that!

We asked Saku where the baby is and he ran excitedly to put his hands on my belly. Sorry, I know my shorts are kind of short.
First belly picture of this pregnancy. Saku and I ran two miles this morning. They were two slow miles, but as long as baby momma is running, I am happy:) I don't think I can keep running for that many more months, because we all know that this belly will be a big belly.

My belly at 16 weeks 2 days

What are your highs or lows of the past 6 months or the next 6 months to come? Is it a growing belly or shrinking belly? Traveling or finally able to stay home? Learning a new skill, starting a new job or training for something new? Share your excitement since it sure is makes life better to share our joys with friends.

Special thanks to my friends Camry, Camille, Lili, Kat, Lauren, Alia and Becky who watched Saku when I had to work during the day. Thanks to Starla for letting me vent about work. Thanks to our families for their support and prayers. Huge thank you to Troy for being so amazing, so loving and understanding.He always believes in me and supports me. Thanks to Saku for being so fun and adorable that staying up for hours doesn't as bad when he is my buddy. And thanks for everyone's supportive comments.

4 comments:

Lilianne said...

Great post, Eevi! Congrats!! First off, sexy belly! Woo, woo! And thanks for the undeserving shout-out for watching Saku once! You're so nice. I'm so proud of you and am glad that you have found a happy place with this work/mommy thing! Love you! Let's play soon!!!

Jesse and Camry said...

Happy six months to you! You really do deserve to be recognized for amazingly achieving being a wife, mom, working, and having morning sickness all at the same time!

Candis said...

I love love love your little belly and the picture of Saku reaching up for you. You are an awesome woman for doing all that you do. Congrats to you!

Lauren said...

You definitely didn't have that belly at church on Sunday! You are totally sticking it our for this picture! ;-)