Saku has finally started to say words. Because he is our first one, Troy and I can't get enough of him repeating words we say or using them. He definitely doesn't have an extensive vocabulary, but we enjoy the progress that he makes daily.
Saku calls out for "äiti" all the time. Saku has never used the word mom or he doesn't even really make the connection between the word mom and me since we have always used the Finnish word as a reference to me.
When I go out of the room, the word "äiti" echoes in the house and he asks for me when I'm not home in the morning when he wakes up and I'm at work.
His favorite word is "ajaa", which means drive. He asks for that about 25 times a day and we go to the garage several times a day and he gets to play in the cars.
He is also using "joo joo", which means "yes", quite a bit. This helps us to know if he wants something.
Not only is Saku saying words, he translates them. We asked him to say "ei" which means "no" in Finnish. He never ever says "ei"; instead he says "no". Same thing with the word apple. When we ask him to say it in finnish, "omena", he says "apple". Not too bad for a 17 month old.
While Saku's words are just full of fun and joy, I have encountered some rather interesting people in the last few weeks.
Aino and I went to Chik-fil-a for lunch while she was here. A sweet woman commented how adorable Saku was. I was happy to receive a compliment about my wild child when she continued "and don't worry, you will lose those pounds in no time". Hmmm...I really thought I was obviously pregnant and wouldn't be confused for a post-baby rolls. While I wanted to let her know that I was 29 weeks pregnant with my second one, I didn't want to embarrass her so I just thanked her and waited for my peppermint milkshake, which would surely help with these extra pounds.
A few days later, Aino and I decided to go and get a manicure. The nail tech asked if Aino was my daughter. Say WHAT??? People tend to think that I am 19, not that I have a 19 year old daughter. So funny.
After a crazy shopping trip at Frys, I was waiting for Troy at the door when an elderly man passed me and exclaimed "wow you are so pregnant, how much longer?" When I informed him that I had to wait until the end of January, he seemed so shocked and sorry for me.
A good reminder to watch out for things that come out of my mouth as well:)
2 comments:
OMG! I miss you guys so much! I hope we can get together soon, maybe before the holidays? I hope all is well. That video is priceless! Pretty awesome kid you got there
You are so nice to be polite to those people. But I agree, it's easier to not go through the awkward conversation. I LOVE how Saku slips out his tongue on the video. My kids are both up now and want to watch that video over and over.
Post a Comment