Thursday, March 17, 2011

Butterfly Boy

Dear Saku,

You are 21 months old today. You are in such fun age right now. You are full of energy and learning things all the time. I know it frustrates you at times that you don't have all of my attention.

We have started to do more puzzles and drawing together. You mostly still enjoy unwrapping the crayons and biting them into pieces, so our art time doesn't last too long. However, you are really good at puzzles and enjoy doing them. I have to brag about you a little and tell you that you have mastered a puzzle that is for ages 3 years and up.


While you do get frustrated when I am not available for you when you want and "need" me, you love your sister. When she is napping, you like to run to the closet where she sleeps and check on her. When she cries, you excitedly yell "baby baby" and point towards the cry. If I ask you if you want to come and get her with me, you sprint towards her bassinet. Eerika seems to prefer your pacifiers over hers and you have been really good about sharing with her. You have also offered her some popcorn when she was crying.


We have started to go to a story time at the local library each week. I was worried that you wouldn't stay next to me and would be disruptive but you have done really well. You enjoy the songs and the books, but haven't really started to sing along. Each week we do a little craft, which really means that I do the craft while you want to put glue on everything. Last week's butterfly hat was a hit. And you haven't even torn it to pieces yet, which is a huge success.

You love books, but you have lately started to tear them apart and tell me "book rikki(broken)". You love animals so we read many books about them. You can name all the common animals and today you surprised me by naming the dragonfly. Some of the names you say in Finnish and some of them in English.


You are talking a lot. I would say that you use more Finnish than English, but you respond to both languages equally. You still use the languages together in sentences. You have started to count "yksi, kaksi, viisi kuusi". I guess three and four aren't that important.

We still let you have your tutti. You are only supposed to have it when you are sleeping or something really upsetting happens. Sometimes you find one and put it in your mouth. You are good about giving it to us when we ask for it.

The other day I told you to go and get two books so we could read while I checked on Eerika. When I came back to the living room you were sitting in the basket where we keep the books.

You are obsessed with your trains. You would play them all day long if I let you. However, they also frustrate you so I have to make sure we only play with them for a while before you start throwing them around.

I have to admit that I have "locked you out" few times while putting Eerika down for a nap. The other day, you spread all the Sunday newspapers on our patio and decided to check out the comics.

Lately you think it's funny to run away when I tell you to do something so we have done many time outs. I know you are just so full of life and don't mean to be naughty, so disciplining you is hard. I have lost my temper with you more lately since I am more exhausted and I hope you won't remember them. I promise that I will try harder to be calm even when you do things that you aren't supposed to.

We have started practicing prayers together and you like to sing songs and dance.

You really are a big boy now. Today we went to the park, just you and I, and it was so nice to just play with you and laugh with you. I think we will make a habit of doing little dates together so we can get our special time together.

Rakastan sua,

äiti

1 comment:

Unknown said...

cute eevi, it seems like you are balancing two children marvelously!