Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Saku and the rest of the Family's World With Kindergarten

It almost seems silly to say how much our life has changed since Saku started school. 

Troy used to go to work early on many mornings, as in he would be at work by 6 am. Now he is Saku's morning ride and doesn't get to work until closer to 8:30 am. 

Eerika is obviously by herself at home with me. I think she finds this just fine and enjoys the time together with me. She doesn't get full on naps on most days, but she is okay with it. She obviously spends more time in the car as we drove 20 minutes to the school and then back. Again, she is flexible so this hasn't been an issue.

Instead of using my kids as an alarm clock, now I have a legitimate alarm clock that goes off at 5:55 am each morning. I get up and make breakfast for the boys while they get ready for school. I have also had the luxury of taking DAILY naps with Eerika. And then I get to be the enforcer of homework, which most days is not a bad role.

Of course, the most dramatic change has been for Saku. He gets up by 6:15 each morning, which is a huge change from the sleeping in rhythm that he had prior to school. He would easily sleep until 8:30 am. 

His circle of friends has changed a bit since he spends most of his day at school and we don't necessarily have time for play dates in the afternoon. He is friendly at school and is liked by his class mates. When he went back to school yesterday after a sick day, he received hugs and happy greetings from his class mates. 

His play time is shorter, but I think he is getting used to it and okay with it. He needs to read 15 minutes each day, which isn't any different from our regular days as we read plenty each day. He is also getting faster doing his homework and I can get him to do two or three pages earlier in the week so he doesn't have to do work later in the week as much. 

Bedtime is about 8 pm. I wonder if it should be even earlier, but I want to make sure that he gets enough to time to play and spend with Troy as well. He falls asleep very quickly.  I dont know if I have recorded this, but Saku is great about going to sleep. He never gets out of bed.

Saku is starting to use more Chinese words at home. He will ask us questions such as  "are you [insert a chinese word] or "can you [insert a chinese word]? 

Saku and Troy at Zane's Scooby Doo Mystery Birthday party
Saku had a blast at Bryant's birthday party. He is such a fish that two hours of swimming with cool toys and new friends was awesome.

Saku loves to play games. It is a big boy activity that he gets to do with Troy and I. He is getting better about losing and Troy and I are making sure that he loses enough to realize that it is part of life.


Last week we were blessed with a cooler afternoon, so we made a pit stop at the skate park by the school. Even if the cooler weather, we had bright red cheeks within half an hour so we headed home to enjoy air conditioning.



I think I am starting to adjust to school. Kindergarten is no joke:)

No comments: