Back in August I signed up for a 10K in hopes that it would motivate me to run and train consistently. Well, I learned that 10K is not a motivating distance for me. If you really race it, it can be brutal but I know that I can finish it on most days, so I did not train seriously enough.
The race day came. We got up at 5:30 and fortunately, mummi and ukki were visiting so we were able to leave the kids home. It was pretty cold outside so we were wearing our winter jackets at the start line. It was nice to go with just Troy and it was nice that I wasn't running a marathon that I had poured my heart and soul into. It made for a much more relaxing morning.
The race started and as usual, I made the mistake of being too far in the back so it took a minute or so to get started with a comfortable pace and rhythm of the run. About half a mile into the run, I was in the front pack and I stayed there until the end. There was some serious hills that made me wish that I had trained better and more, but those hills were also so nice to run down. I was seriously running a seven minute mile coming down the canyon. I ended up being 4th overall and 2nd in my age group. The field wasn't very competitive as I think more of the serious runners did the half marathon, BUT I do get a sense of enjoyment seeing my name on the "leader" board. I did truly work hard during the race. I also loved cheering for the other runners. There was such a wide variety of runners since it was a mostly women's race.
I learned another thing that I should really learn the course maps so I know how much running I have left with the course so I know when to start doing the last minute sprints. Overall it was a great race!
No comments:
Post a Comment