Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Reasons to be Happy and Thankful

This fall, we have been on a survival mode to say the least. Troy's school and work schedule has left me feeling like a single(working) mom and Troy is getting less and less sleep each week. On top of this, Saku has entered the stage in toddlerhood of knowing what he wants and wanting it NOW. And when he doesn't get his way, he lets you know.

When I got pregnant, Saku was only 11 months and he was really easy. Fast forward six months and he is quite the handful, so it will be interesting to see how we will handle two kids. I still think he is the best little thing that has ever happened to me, but he does demand a lot.

Tonight, I am feeling great and thankful.

Maybe it's because...

the end of semester is only 4 weeks away and I will get my husband back as he graduates December 18th.

I got to enjoy my youngest sister for two weeks. I got to know her better and appreciate and love her more.
She is truly a babe!
The fact that no matter how many temper tantrums and time outs take place during the day, this handsome face melts my heart each time.


I slept 12 hours last night. Yep, I went to bed at 9 pm and woke up at 9 am. It wasn't all continuous since Saku woke up TWICE crying hysterically. I'm wondering if he has nightmares or night terrors. Does anyone have experience with this?

I spent all afternoon with Camry and Rachel as we were sewing as much as our three little toddlers allowed us to. Camry is one of my favorite people and I loved getting a chance to get to know Rachel better. Plus their amazing sewing skills helped me as I started some Christmas projects.

Good news about my job situation. I get to change to a per diem position after baby girl arrives. This means that I am required to work once in 30 days, which is practically nothing. I am so excited to be able to keep up my skills while staying home with my kids. This was the goal that I had in mind when I decided to go to work this past year, yet I wasn't sure if it would happen so soon. I always felt strongly that I was supposed to be with this unit and work under this manager and they have been so supportive and flexible with me. So every once in a while, I will put on my scrubs, take care of my patients and use my brain in a non-mommy way and rest of the time, I get to do what I love the most, be a mom.

What is making you happy this week?

5 comments:

Suzanna said...

Luke did the same thing at around Saku's age. He would just cry and scream with his eyes closed and it took forever to calm him down or get him to wake up enough to come out of it. I'm not sure why it happened, but he hasn't done that for quite awhile. Hopefully, Saku will grow out of it?
I think this week what's making me happy and thankful is that we are all getting over being sick! Last week was miserable.
I hope things keep going well throughout this pregnancy. I'm excited to see pictures of your new little girl when she comes.

Nathan, Bethany, Noah, and Porter said...

Hey, congrats on getting the schedule you'll need, that's fantastic!
Noah had/night terrors, he had them as an infant and gets them every once in a while too. It's so sad, what could possibly be so scary? Anyway, there's not a whole lot you can do to prevent them, but we usually make sure Noah wakes all the way up after having one (most times he cries hysterically and we go in to find him still sleeping so we have to wake him up), we give him a little water to help calm him down, say a prayer with him, gives lost of kisses goodnight and tuck him in again- that usually cuts down on the repeats for the night. Good luck!

SMT Family said...

So glad to hear that your field of work can be so accommodating to you and family. I would love to teach once a month! Work my teacher-brain and be back to family. What a great set-up. Congrats to you and Troy in four weeks! Awesome accomplishment for both of you.

This week I am thankful for new friends. It isn't easy for me to open up to new people. I like my old friends. But slowly and surely I am making close friends here in SLC that are comfortable enough to just drop by for the fun of it.

Kelly said...

Congrats on the great job schedule. That's really wonderful. Ryan had nightmares too. He would wake up and just cry and cry. Ever kid is different, but what worked for Ryan was putting him in front of the t.v. and putting on one of his favorite shows. Once he eventually woke up the show would calm him down, us holding him and trying to comfort him only made his crying and screaming worse. Good luck with that.

Camille said...

We saw a little boy today who looked a lot like Saku. His dad said he was 11 months and it reminded me of this post. I'll bet he is going to be the sweetest big brother. Haley has been getting more time-outs and Trevor loves it! At first he gets excited because he's finally not the only one in trouble, then we find the two of them in time-out together, laughing and playing. :) Hang in there for 4 more weeks. Troy will be a new man then!