Thursday, January 6, 2011

Dear Saku,

Your life will change dramatically in the next few weeks when your little sister arrives. You have been the center of our little family. While I would like to think that we haven't spoiled you, you do get most of our attention and your silliness never fails to make us think that you are the funniest little creature on this earth.

When we saw your doctor for the 15 month check up, she was little worried about the fact that you weren't saying any words and wanted us to come back at 18 months to re-evaluate your speech. I was never worried since I knew you were processing and learning two languages so I wasn't really planning on going to see her. Yes, what a rebellious mom you have. In the last weeks, your vocabulary has exploded and it has added a whole new dimension to your personality.

Just for the sake of journaling, here is a list of your current words.

English
car
apple
no
monkey
ball
bye bye
please
baby
two(after I say "one")
wheredigo (where did it go)

Finnish
äiti-mom
isi-dad
tutti-pacifier
maito-milk
peitto-blanket
tähti-star
susi-wolf
kiitos-thank you
ukki-grandpa
joo joo-yeah yeah
ajaa-drive

Random words
Mickey
Elmo
Miko(referring to a finnish reindeer Niko)
Anna
Mio
Nemo-finding Nemo as well as every other fish
abc (which he signs to the tune of ABCs)



You like to make silly faces. And at the moment, your hair is way too long, but since it is so blond, it doesn't look too bad.
You enjoyed your second Christmas and the fact that we let you rip paper and make a mess without any consequences.
Ukki and Paula gave you a book about animals as well as a new high chair. You continue to love animals and love the fact that you can climb up to your own chair when you want to it. We love the fact that it is a whole lot easier to clean up this chair after you are done eating.

You are obsessed with milk. You ask it for all the time. We somehow misplaced both of your sippy cups so for the last two days, we have been drinking from a regular cup and you are doing really well.
One of your Christmas presents was a little tricycle. You aren't quite ready to pedal yet, but love to sit it in while we push you around.

You have made quite the reputation among your peers as a boy who never stops going. One of your favorite things to do is to push your umbrella stroller around or sit in it. We let you play in the backyard by yourself, which works beautifully for all of us. Yesterday, you pushed the stroller onto the grass and sat in it for 10 minutes while you talked to yourself.

It seems that a boy of your age needs a train set. We bought you one for Christmas, your grandma got one for you and aunt Regina had saved cousin Hayden's old train set for you. You really enjoy your "choo choo" and we play with the set few times a day.


We are still trying to figure out how to deal with your temper tantrums. You like to throw toys when you are done playing with them and then you say "uh oh". Time outs don't have much of an effect, but we try to be consistent with them. You are very good about saying sorry and giving us a kiss after the time outs are over.

You give great high fives and knuckles. You love to run to us and give us a big hug when we ask for one. You have even learned to give a kiss with sweet lip smacking noise.

There is part of me that is sad about the fact that you won't be our only little child anymore. I hope I can help you to understand that my love for you doesn't change even though you will have to share me with a little sister. I wish I could freeze time and keep you as my little boy (without the temper tantrums) forever, but since that is not an option, I will just enjoy the fabulous adventure that your life is.

I know I have a lot to learn about being a mom and there are days when I am far from a perfect mom, but I hope you never wonder about my love for you. My love for you is unconditional and increases each day.

Love,
Äiti

3 comments:

anitamombanita said...

what a little cutie pie! Wish you lived closer so I could get to know him!!! Miss you. Happy New Year!

Jesse and Camry said...

That was beautiful Eevi. It really touched me and made me cry. I wish I wrote these kind of things for my children.

Matthias said...

Oliver was throwing tantrums for awhile where he would get on the ground and bang his head against the ground HARD when he wasn't getting his way (???). We've been reading Love and Logic and using those methods we've been able to snub his head banging %100. It goes something to the effect of pay no attention at all when they're tantruming even to the point of leaving the room. Then we they're finished, go in and say, "Wasn't that sad? Are you ready to be happy and play now?"