Saturday, May 7, 2011

Sunday Dinner Gone Bad

I try to take pictures of our every day life and sometimes there isn't a great story behind the happy or not so happy faces that I capture. Sometimes it is just the fact that I have cute kids and can't get enough of their sweet faces. Especially since pictures of kids don't say "no" to you or throw temper tantrums so you just feel the love for them.

Yet sometimes a small fact,like Eerika wearing a beanie inside the house in Arizona in May, means that there is more to the picture than just a cute face. First of all, it was fabulous cool weather for few days which made me so happy. Second, we had to open our doors and windows for days because we burned our roast. I really should say that Troy burned it but since I didn't stop him, I am responsible as well. Let me share the details.

I worked last Saturday night. We happened to have Stake Conference the following Sunday morning at 10 am so I decided to just stay up and take a nap after church when the kids slept. We got home after 12 and I opened our garage door and there was smoke everywhere. The ironic part of this was the fact that I had asked Troy "are you sure the roast will be ok while we are gone" and he assured me that it would be fine. I often question Troy, but for once, I decided to trust him and just go with it. Now I will never do that, again! Just kidding.

When I went inside, the smoke was so strong that it was impossible to stay inside and breath normally. The roast had burned so badly that you couldnt even tell that it was a roast. So there was no way we could go inside. Obviously I worried about the kids, but I also really needed a nap. I was about to cry because I hadn't slept for hours and was physically hurting from being tired.

Troy opened all of our windows and doors and you could see the smoke everywhere. Troy felt terrible so he started calling our friends to see if we go over and hang out while the worst of the smoke would clear out. We had a hard time getting hold of people so he ended up calling Brian and Alia's ward since they were at church and left a message with someone to call Troy. Troy told them"it wasn't an emergency, but it was urgent". Fortunately, Brian called us back and we were able to go to their house.

I slept for three hours while Saku played with Cameron and Eerika napped in the other room. They even fed us dinner. I'm so grateful for friends like them.

All of our clothes smell as if we were smokers. It's disgusting, but I'm grateful that we didn't burn the house down. The funny thing is that this same thing, except it was eggs boiling and exploding, happened to our friends a week ago and as we left the house before church, I said to Troy that I didn't want that to happen to us.

Since we kept our doors and windows open around the clock and it was actually cool weather, Eerika was dressed to stay warm as the temperature dropped into the high sixties in our hours.









1 comment:

Kat Clark said...

NO WAY!!!! I am so sorry! I know how awful that can be, obviously. I can tell you that it gets better but for us, when the a/c comes on, it still kinda smells like smoke for a while.
My friend at the gym works at a fire restoration company and she said that protein fires leave a residue on the walls and in the ducts of the a/c. :( I don't know what our home owners insurance deductible is but I've been feeling like I should probably call just to find out since it's been weeks and the smell hasn't fully cleared. She told me that it can cost up to 1200 dollars for a fire clean up crew to come in and get rid of the stink but your insurance will pay the difference after you pay the deductible. I'm hoping that your smell isn't as bad as ours was. At least you aren't scraping egg off your ceiling right? ;)