I have had many jobs in the past 1o years; gymnastics coach, care giver, secretary, retail, janitor, cheese factory janitor, and patient care technician.
For a few months, I kind of felt like I started my career as a registered nurse. I worked full time, and then part-time. I enjoyed it, but it was too hard to balance everything and everyone's needs. Now I work about twice a month. It is nice to keep up my skills and get some extra money. And the adult conversation doesn't hurt either.
For now, being a nurse is a job. And being a mom is my career. This is the way it should be.
No matter where you work, you have crappy days at work. Or days when you really have to work hard to enjoy your day and make the best out of it. When this happens at the hospital, I know I just have to get through the 12 hours and I will get to go home. When I have a rough day at home, it is more difficult. It is hard because I love my little kids. I want what is best for them. I want to just love them and be happy with them all day long, but it just isn't reality. And this isn't a sob story about the difficulties of being a stay at home mom. There are times when you forget how difficult life can be and while I want to remember the good times, I also want to remember the little struggles so I can look back and say to myself "you can do hard things".
Today is one of those tough days.
When I got home from my 4 mile run, Troy informed me that it would probably be a long day with Saku. And there have been a good amount of those moments so far.
When Saku was younger, I was really strict about how much TV he would watch. To be honest, it made me feel like a lazy mom to let him just watch TV when I felt that I should have been playing with him. On most days, Saku still doesn't watch TV, but today PBS kids (on the iPad) saved my sanity. I have learned to be more flexible my ideals so my daily reality can be little easier and better for everyone.
It does help that these two kids are so adorable and beautiful.
I can't believe Saku actually put his arm around her.
Eerika has finally reached the age of six months where I feel like life gets easier. She really gets so much more beautiful and fun each day.
One nice thing about "working at home" is that I get to choose when I get a "bonus" or a "pay raise". Tonight's bonus will be a skinny cow ice cream sandwich when the kids are in bed and Troy is giving me a foot rub. (Troy, hope you read this on time)
1 comment:
Oh my goodness that picture with saku's arm around eerika is priceless. its true, hard days at home are so much worse than hard days at work, because at least at the end of a work day you get to go home. where do you get to go after then end of a hard day at home? hopefully every once in awhile- OUT!
Post a Comment