Saturday, March 10, 2012

Blessings amidst challenges

We are still on a survival mode.  It might be as long as six to 12 months before Troy is back to 100%. 
However, we are so blessed. And while I am not trying to portray a falsely (or annoyingly) positive attitude and cheerfulness, I am grateful for many things. 

I rarely get a full night sleep in a row. I do not have a little baby in the house, but there is something that is waking up the kids consistently. Except for last night, I had a beautiful 8 hours of sleep that was only broken by Saku climbing into our bed at some point. And since he just silently climbed between Troy and I, I was awake for mere seconds and back to my deep sleep. Oh it feels so good to sleep enough to feel rested.  So when I stirred at 6 am this morning, I was ready to get up for the day. 

I was able to run four times this week so far and after today's run, my weekly total will be 26 miles. I love how my body is responding to the training and feel quite hardcore. 

Lili sent a wonderful meal via Jason for Troy while he was buying his time in the emergency department. Lili's cooking  has the magic to make anyone feel better. 

On Sunday, I was able to drop off the kids to Brian and Alia's.  Saku loves loves love Cameron's toys and Cameron. Eerika was little outnumbered by the boys. One day she will appreciate the ratio and the attention she might get ;)

Beautiful Alia and cute kids

Out of the five days that Troy was at the hospital, the kids spent time at Camille's house on three days. Since Birch and Camille live only few miles away from the hospital and the kids do extremely well there, it was the perfect place to take the kids. I was able to visit Troy while the kids played happily. And on Tuesday, I even went to hang out there while we waited for Troy to get discharged and the kids just couldn't take anymore of the hospital. Simple thank you doesn't quite do the job to describe my gratitude for Birch and Camille's love and friendship for our family. 

Saku was in Heaven as he played big boy things with Trevor. 

Children getting muddy-it was cold and windy and they didn't care one bit. 


Yesterday Camry brought us dinner. When she asked if she could help us in any way, I asked if she could do dinner one day. I felt slightly selfish to add one more thing to her plate while I could really just cook dinner for us.  But it really was a huge help to just pop the pizza roll into the oven and eat it. Troy is now home; however, he is really too exhausted to do anything around the house. So I have to do pretty much everything on my own. I realize that there are many women who do things on regular basis, but it has a lot more energy out of me, so I was grateful for the little break. 

Last night was also the first night that Troy had somehow regular appetite so he enjoyed the pizza roll and brownies. I was happy to have my baby's appetite returning. 

Delicious pizza roll, thanks by sweet Camry. 

I also made some brownies. It was Friday night after all, and we had survived another week of Troy's sickness. Eerika and I had few bites BEFORE dinner:) That is just how the Grossarth girls do it.

Another sweet blessing was on Wednesday when Lindsay brought us dinner. She drove an hour to our house and brought some delicious soup, salad with homemade salad dressing, bread and the best chocolate chip cookies I've ever had. And she has a 8 week old baby at home. AND she is going to medical school. Yes quite the amazing woman she is. 

Yes, I feel quite humbled to know such amazing people.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I dont know who Lindsay is but she sounds amazing. You have so many wonderful friends- that is a clear reflection of how wonderful you are. I am glad troy is home, but i cant believe 6-12 months?! And they still dont know what it is? That is horrendous. Please drop the kids off at my house any time.

Jesse and Camry said...

I hope you are doing ok with everything... And I hope Troy gets well sooner than projected! For your sake, and his. ANd yes you are hardcore! And I can't believe how much you can still do in midst of everything. Very inspiring! Don't worry about adding to my plate, there is always room on it for friends! Plus I had to cook dinner anyways, right? Let me know if you need me to take the kids for a while this week so you can have some special time just for you... like a pedicure, or 4 uninterupted hours of reading an insanely good book, or just sleeping : )

Burklund Blogger said...

Don't compare yourself to what you think other women do and how amazing you think they are. You carry a load that is specialized for you and it is certainly very difficult to carry all the responsibility of the household. You. Are. Amazing.... you still play with your kids, cook for your family, include your friends, take care of sick hunny AND still find time to take care of yourself. Good for you :) Ryan says 6 months is minimum for Cocci treatment and that Troy is lucky it didn't spread to other parts of his body. I'm glad they were able to catch, tame, and treat before it got worse. It may be hard now, but one day at a time will get you through.

Lindsay Gunnell said...

I'm so glad things are looking a little better for you guys. I think about and pray for you every day! It was so fun hearing about all the other support you've gotten...only an amazing family would have such loyal friends. Hang in there!