Wednesday, June 22, 2016

A Big Hiccup in Our Travels

I was Facetiming with Troy today when his phone had a reminder about our flights for today. We weren't supposed to leave until tomorrow. Or so we thought. American Airlines changed our flights in April and moved our flight up a day back in April. We didn't realize it until today, three hours after the flight had already taken off from Helsinki. We had looked at the flights but assumed that it was still on the 23rd and not on the 22nd. 

Saku was with me when we realized this and he started crying because he thought he wouldn't get to go home. I panicked a bit as well but I tried to keep it under control because I didn't want to scare Saku. I called American Airlines and explained the situation. The customer service lady's response was along the lines of "oh my goodness". This made me pretty worried to hear her worry or shock.

Saku came to offer me an ice breaker as he thought I "was in shock as you were talking to isi that way".  He means I was a bit snappy when trying to figure out what to do. I am glad that my snappy comments seemed so extreme to Saku that he thought I was in shock:)

First Ada, the best customer service lady ever, was able to find us flights for tomorrow. For the exact same route that we were supposed to take today. Then she suggested that she could look and see if she could waive some of the fees. The original amount was 1200 which almost made me cry because that is a lot of money. I stayed on hold for an hour as Ada kept working on things with her supervisors.

In the end, we got our flights for free.  This is nothing short of a miracle. That I was facetiming w Troy and not on the beach like I had planned to go with Eerika. That I got connected with this nice lady, when so many customer service people are not helpful. That we didn't have to pay extra. That we can still go home tomorrow as we had planned. Heavenly Father looked out for us in so many ways. 

We are ready to go home. It has been wonderful but home is home. It will be sweet to be all together. 

No comments: