Monday, March 8, 2010

Poo and Airplanes

Poo and airplanes are the two things that seem to wake up my baby most frequently.

This morning, I went to his room as he started crying around 5:45 and I changed him after I detected an unpleasant odor. I nursed him and put him back to sleep. Half an hour later, he is crying again and I made him cry it out for a while, but I realized that he wasn't going to go back to sleep so I went to get him. And he had pooped again. Honestly, it stinks(literally and figuratively) to have to change a diaper when they are supposed to be sleeping. After he had been awake for an hour, he pooped again. That is a lot of poop (or should I say stinkies for Janae) from one little boy in a few hours.

Lately diaper changes have become much more eventful as my sweet little man has figured that he can grab himself when the diaper is off. Maybe that was too much information, but every mother with a boy knows what I'm talking about.

We also have the luxury of living near the air force base and the planes seem to fly over our house during the nap time. Unfortunately more often than not, Saku wakes up as the roaring gets loud.

Another lovely feature of our neighborhood is the lady who does a carpool with someone across the street from us and every morning around 8 am, she starts honking her horn as she pulls to our neighbors drive way. Let's be honest here, I do not get to sleep in until 8 am, but it doesn't mean that it doesn't kind of bug me to hear her honking each morning.

What is waking you up or your kids up?


13 comments:

Natalie said...

I think they sort of outgrow the pooping at night thing...at least Jackson did, unless he's sick (like now). Have you tried a white noise machine or music in his room to see if that keeps the airplanes from waking him up?
Lately when it's nap time, even if he's almost asleep, if Jackson hears a car outside he gets excited and starts saying "Beep! Beep!" It's cute, but... so is sleep.
Good luck!

Christi Pobst said...

Westin wake sup to the garbage man dumping a huge dumpster right outside his window. Is it already for me to ask the garbage man to come back at a different time?

I put a radio in his room and turned it to static. It has really helped to drown out noises.

Westin grabs himself too. He has actually started to scratch at his diaper? I mean seriously! The worst is when its poopy! He has actually grabbed his diaper while I was changing him!

Suzanna said...

I'm pretty sure they grow out of the pooping thing. Luke hasn't done that for a long time, but if you don't move his diaper out if the way of his hands he'll snatch it and throw it. He thinks he's pretty funny, but I'm grossed out.

Sounders work really well. Luke has used one forever and it has gotten him used to falling asleep no matter how much noise there is. We've actually stopped using it occasionally just to see how it goes and he still sleeps just fine.

I can vacuum, do dishes, use the treadmill with music and he isn't phased at all.

Hope you can find a solution!

Bridget said...

What's been waking my kids up? The sound of huge icicles falling off our roof and crashing to the ground. This place is so different from Tucson.

Ugh for changing poopy diapers at night. That should only happen during the day.

The Ensign's said...

Awww you're sooo thoughtful to think of me and call it stinkies. =)

Nikki Nichols said...

Eevi I swear by Beckett's sound maker. It has like 6 different settings, but we just put it on white noise and turn it all the way up. We can be as loud as we want downstairs, even the snow plows right outside his window scraping against the sidewalk at 4 am don't phase him.

Lilianne said...

Ahhh, the honking! That drives me NUTS. We have lots of honkers in this complex and it drives me batty. Have some respect, people! And yes, POOP. That is always the culprit for waking up Lois. If she wakes up too early from her naps, it's because she has pooped! So glad to see you the other day! We miss you guys.

Dani said...

That's funny that Janae doesn't like the word poop/poo either! I guess me and her are the only two people in the world who don't:) That's frustrating about the airplanes cuz there's nothing you can do about it! And annoying neighbors, there is always one! I finally called the HOA on our neighbors who have a dog that literally woke me up everyday at 5:00am from CONSTANT barking for at least 20 minutes for about 2 months. That didn't affect Coop though, just me, but still annoying neighbors I tell ya:0

Eevi said...

Thanks everyone for the advice to get a noise machine. We have been debating whether it would be worth it and now I'm convinced:)

Unknown said...

spitting up and DOOR TO DOOR SALESMEN! I went off on this lady yesterday. I felt bad afterwards since it wasnt her fault she was the third person that week offering to "fix our car windshield for free". But I mean COME ON, I had JUST got cameron to bed and the door bell woke him up and he didnt go back down. We have this girrafe thing that makes noise but it turns off automatically after 30 minutes, i wish i didnt do that.

Becky and Tyler said...

The microwave door closing is what makes Lowe wake up...it's the weirdest thing because nothing else seems to bother him at all. And be glad Saku hasn't figured out how to take him diaper off of himself yet...I'm sure Lowe would take his off if he didn't have a onesie or pants on all the time!

Molly said...

My siblings. And the dogs. Every afternoon when the kids come home from school and the dogs go nuts to see them, Olivia wakes up and wants to play.

Molly said...

oh, and girls love to grab themselves, too! Olivia rolls around and pinches her butt. She knows how cute I think it is. And she always sticks her clean diaper in her mouth while I wipe her. At least she's not putting the dirty one in her mouth, but it's always soggy by the time I can wrench it away, haha!