Just before Eerika was born, we got Saku a “big boy” bed. Thanks to the hard work of my mother and Eevi, we were able to paint it to match the room and get it setup in time for the blessing. For a couple of weeks after it was set up, every night Saku would ask if he could sleep in the “iso nukku” (big sleep). I didn’t feel like dealing with the hassle of him getting out every 30 seconds and asking for something, so I would just tell him no. So, about a month and a half ago, I decided one night while Eevi was gone that I was going to try and transition him. Well, about 2 hours later, and 30 something bedroom door openings, I gave up and put him back in the crib.
As our trip to Finland is drawing near, and Eerika is out growing her bassinet, Eevi and I have been discussing the idea of trying again to transition Saku to the big bed. So, last Friday night I decided to give it another try. This time I did a little research and found that the Supernanny method was the supposed way to go.
For those of you who are unfamiliar, the Supernanny method has two execution styles: one for older kids where you leave the room, and one where you stay in the room, away from them with your head down, for younger kids who might have separation anxiety. To do the Supernanny method you first perform your normal nightly routine and place them in bed. The first time they get out of bed, you simply say, “it is time to go to bed,” and place them in their bed without making eye contact. The second time they get out of bed you now say “bedtime,” and place them in their bed without making eye contact. For every other time they get out of bed, you don’t say anything and place them in their bed without making eye contact.
Now being all studied up and ready to go, I decided to do the little kid style and stay in the room. The first night was amazing. We put Saku to bed and I closed the door and sat down on the floor. Not more than 10 seconds passed and Saku got out of his bed and headed to the door. I don’t think he knew that I was there (it is pitch black in his room), because when I stuck my arm out and grabbed him, he was a little startled. He cried for about 30 seconds when I placed him back in bed and then he promptly fell asleep. In the morning, when he woke up, he went to the door, cracked it enough to peek one eye out and yelled, “lisää maito” (more milk). “WOW! Supernanny is a miracle worker,” is all I could think. His nap on Saturday played out the same way.
Saturday night wasn’t quite as smooth. After putting Saku down, I sat across the room from him and put my head down. Saku layed there for a couple of minutes, and then he climbed out of bed. So I promptly put him back in and told him “it is time to go to bed.” Saku wasn’t too happy but he was submissive. A couple of minutes later I hear him starting to call out for his “tutti” (pacifier). He had somehow lost it and was calling for it like it might answer back. This went on for about 2 minutes, and then he remembered that I was in the room and that I could help him. So instead of calling for his pacifier, he starts saying “isi, isi, isi, isi, …” (daddy). He is saying it over and over in a soft voice like he knows that I am there, but just not paying attention. Man was my heart breaking. I kept thinking, “this is a legitimate reason to respond. The poor boy needs his pacifier and his dependable dad is just ignoring him.” Well, I stuck to my guns and by some divine miracle he found his pacifier and went to sleep. Not quite as smooth as the first night, but still not too bad. That was until about 4:50 am when Saku is crying in the hallway “Saku tippu” (Saku drop). Saku is a “tosser and turner,” and I this meant that he fell out of his bed! So, feeling like an irresponsible parent I went and laid with him in bed. That was a mistake because neither of us went back to sleep. Despite the challenges with Saturday night, Sunday nap was just as easy as the day before.
Well, on Sunday night Saku was starting to figure out how things worked and he decided to test the waters a bit. After we put him down, he got out of bed a couple of minutes later. This repeated two more times with lots of asking for “äiti” (mom), “mehu” (juice), and “maito” (milk). So things calm down for a couple of minutes and then Saku starts talking to himself and saying things like, “lisää äiti? Ei” (more mom? No), ”lisää maito? Ei” (more milk? No), “lisää mehu? Ei” (more juice? No). The next thing I hear him saying is “no, no, No, NO, NO!” Now he is leaning over the edge of the bed and calling out to me. While doing this he drops his pacifier and starts calling out for it. Unsure of what he should do, he slowly slides off the bed, reaches down on the floor calling for the pacifier, and then quickly climbs back into bed. My thought was, “ah! He is learning.” A couple of minutes go by and he decides that the dropped pacifier is worse than the wrath of dad and decides to get out of bed. I was actually kind of wishing for this so that I would have an excuse to give him his pacifier. He laid there for a couple of minutes and then I hear him singing “Jesus wants me for a sun beam.” I had to use all of my will power to keep myself from cracking up! He tested me one more time, and then I put him back and he fell asleep….. until he fell out of bed again at 1 am.
Tonight though has shown that the Supernanny experiment has paid off. When we put him to bed tonight I left the room. He came out about 2 minutes later and I promptly put him back and left the room again. This time he stayed and fell asleep.
For those of you who have children where putting them to bed is a nightmare, I suggest you try Supernanny. I know that I am totally hooked!
For those of you who are unfamiliar, the Supernanny method has two execution styles: one for older kids where you leave the room, and one where you stay in the room, away from them with your head down, for younger kids who might have separation anxiety. To do the Supernanny method you first perform your normal nightly routine and place them in bed. The first time they get out of bed, you simply say, “it is time to go to bed,” and place them in their bed without making eye contact. The second time they get out of bed you now say “bedtime,” and place them in their bed without making eye contact. For every other time they get out of bed, you don’t say anything and place them in their bed without making eye contact.
Saturday night wasn’t quite as smooth. After putting Saku down, I sat across the room from him and put my head down. Saku layed there for a couple of minutes, and then he climbed out of bed. So I promptly put him back in and told him “it is time to go to bed.” Saku wasn’t too happy but he was submissive. A couple of minutes later I hear him starting to call out for his “tutti” (pacifier). He had somehow lost it and was calling for it like it might answer back. This went on for about 2 minutes, and then he remembered that I was in the room and that I could help him. So instead of calling for his pacifier, he starts saying “isi, isi, isi, isi, …” (daddy). He is saying it over and over in a soft voice like he knows that I am there, but just not paying attention. Man was my heart breaking. I kept thinking, “this is a legitimate reason to respond. The poor boy needs his pacifier and his dependable dad is just ignoring him.” Well, I stuck to my guns and by some divine miracle he found his pacifier and went to sleep. Not quite as smooth as the first night, but still not too bad. That was until about 4:50 am when Saku is crying in the hallway “Saku tippu” (Saku drop). Saku is a “tosser and turner,” and I this meant that he fell out of his bed! So, feeling like an irresponsible parent I went and laid with him in bed. That was a mistake because neither of us went back to sleep. Despite the challenges with Saturday night, Sunday nap was just as easy as the day before.
Well, on Sunday night Saku was starting to figure out how things worked and he decided to test the waters a bit. After we put him down, he got out of bed a couple of minutes later. This repeated two more times with lots of asking for “äiti” (mom), “mehu” (juice), and “maito” (milk). So things calm down for a couple of minutes and then Saku starts talking to himself and saying things like, “lisää äiti? Ei” (more mom? No), ”lisää maito? Ei” (more milk? No), “lisää mehu? Ei” (more juice? No). The next thing I hear him saying is “no, no, No, NO, NO!” Now he is leaning over the edge of the bed and calling out to me. While doing this he drops his pacifier and starts calling out for it. Unsure of what he should do, he slowly slides off the bed, reaches down on the floor calling for the pacifier, and then quickly climbs back into bed. My thought was, “ah! He is learning.” A couple of minutes go by and he decides that the dropped pacifier is worse than the wrath of dad and decides to get out of bed. I was actually kind of wishing for this so that I would have an excuse to give him his pacifier. He laid there for a couple of minutes and then I hear him singing “Jesus wants me for a sun beam.” I had to use all of my will power to keep myself from cracking up! He tested me one more time, and then I put him back and he fell asleep….. until he fell out of bed again at 1 am.
Tonight though has shown that the Supernanny experiment has paid off. When we put him to bed tonight I left the room. He came out about 2 minutes later and I promptly put him back and left the room again. This time he stayed and fell asleep.
For those of you who have children where putting them to bed is a nightmare, I suggest you try Supernanny. I know that I am totally hooked!
5 comments:
great advice Troy. We just put a mattress straight on the floor but we haven't used it at night yet, just for a naps a few times. They make little side rails so your kid can't fall off the bed at night if you are worried about him rolling off and hurting himself. You can get them at most any super store.
I have a little rail thing you guys are welcome to. It just helps so they don't fall out. We used it with Devon for about a month or so and then he didn't need it anymore. Just let me know if you want to try it. I can run it over.
But I am glad it all went so well. Wish we'd have tried that way. We still have to lock Devon in his room some times.
troy that makes me think two things:
1. i am so grateful for cameron
2. i am so grateful for my parents and the positive parenting techniques they inherently passed down to me.
In any event this is good research for us since we have to transition cameron into a bed in august. blurg, really not looking forward to it.
awesome!! Sounds like superdaddy, not supernanny!!!
I think I may have mentioned SuperNanny to Troy when he came Home Teaching--not to take any credit or anything:) even tho' I havent tried it I am glad it is working for you guys. Its an amazing feeling when you get your evenings back.
Post a Comment