Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Public Transportation-So awesome

Since we arrived to Finland on May 4th, I have probably driven in the car about six times. Helsinki offers free public transportation to mothers who have strollers. It has been so great to not listen to Eerika scream in her car seat while I drive. Saku has loved the fact that he can sit next to me in the bus or he gets to ride in the train. It is fun to be able to talk to him and point at things rather than concentrate on driving.

There are also drawbacks to not driving to places.

It can take longer to walk to the bus/metro/train stop while pushing a stroller and then take actually get on the bus/metro/train. It is also physically more demanding to push the stroller while Saku stands on the stepping board or I am carrying one of the kids. And grocery shopping without a car is quite the trip. But I have enjoyed the fact that we haven't had to get in the car much.

Finnish people aren't known for the friendliness, but I have been impressed by the fact that someone has offered to help me to lift the stroller into the train each time I needed some help.




Our vehicle while in Finland


Anna and Saku waiting for the train


This was one of the few days when I actually got "dressed up" while Troy was still in Tucson. The weather was little cooler, so the kids were wearing some borrowed outfits.

How do you think you could survive without a car? Have you ever taken the local public transportation?

3 comments:

Suzanna said...

Grocery shopping would definitely be a challenge, but I think it sounds kind of fun as long as the weather cooperates. :)

Greu said...

I think the public transportation system here in Finland supports moms with kids in a great way. Even though I'm not a fan of Finland in many other things, I think this is something worth complimenting.

We ended up buying a car few weeks before Lenny, and I couldn't imagine living without it anymore. But if I have to go to the city, there's absolutely no point going there by car, since the parking costs unbelievably much and the train station is only 700m away from our apartment! I also like to use the bus just for fun, and sometimes I find it a lot easier, just to put Lenny in the strollers and walk about 1km to the bus stop where about 10 different buses pass by.

But I think a car is too valuable to our family, especially when visiting my parents and grocery shopping..

Unknown said...

getting a taste of how my sister lives!