In order to be a parent, you need to brave. There are many things that make you scared or nervous when it comes to parenting.
It starts with the labor and delivery of the baby. I love the process of giving birth. But it makes me nervous. How much is it going to hurt? How long will it take? How does a baby come out of something so small?!! But you do it and it changes your life.
Then you have the baby and you are scared out of your mind that something bad will happen to your precious baby. You are worried about leaving the house because you don't want your baby to freak out while you are out and about and maybe you can't console the baby. You are worried that you will never feel normal after months of sleep deprivation. You will worry that your body will always look a bunch of jello was attached to your abdomen. But somehow you survive those newborn months.
Then you child becomes a toddler. You worry that you will be too harsh on your child. Or maybe you aren't firm enough. You worry when to take away the bottle/pacifier/blanket. You worry that people will think that you aren't a capable parent after your kid screams in a public place. You wonder when to potty train and what method to use. I am still in this stage but I know that eventually we will find a solution to these earth shattering issues or we won't and our kids will grow up and be OK.
One day, I will worry about grades, their friends, driving,boyfriends/girlfriends, broken hearts, drinking and drugs, college, and the list goes on, and I will probably wish that my biggest concern was little sleep deprivation.
However, the amazing thing about children is that they surprise you with their ability to do things.
Today we had a "are we brave enough" moment as we got dressed for church and debated whether we should have Saku go to church with a diaper or without one. We didn't want to confuse him and put on a diaper since he hasn't worn one for days, but did I want to have a "Cameron stepped on my poop" moment in our new ward. No, I didn't. However, we put on our brave parent faces and Saku went to church without a diaper. And he did amazingly well. No accidents at all. ALL DAY.
So next time, I wonder if Saku or Eerika can do something challenging, I will be brave so I can help them to be brave.
1 comment:
Good job being brave. My scariest potty training day was on the airplane. I didn't want to put Ky in a diaper because we were making so much progress, but I really really really didn't want to have an accident on the plane either. I just crossed my fingers and he did really well. I thought he would freak out about the plane toilet, but he thought it was awesome. Yes, be brave, and it will all be ok! I know this sounds weird, but if we have to go somewhere really important where an accident just can not happen, I will stick a poise pad (the ones for leakage bladder) in his undies. I did that when we had to take a three hour car ride in a rental car and I knew there wouldn't be many places to stop and use the bathroom. Now I don't worry so much because he usually tells me when he has to go. I also recommend getting some of those gerber training underwear. They are thicker in the middle so if they do have an accident it absorbs most of it so it's not an all out mess like the regular underwear.
Post a Comment