Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Sign Language Debate

We have been immersing ourselves with sign language lately. Eerika is obsessed with the Signing Time  videos and she actually signs "signing time" when she wants to watch it. 

The other day, I happened to observe Saku and Eerika having a "yes" "no" "yes" "no" debate in sign language. Eerika would sign "yes" and Saku would sign "no" and they went on for a while. 

Saku often asks "how do you say that with your hands?" Yesterday he wanted to know how to sign "microwave". I didn't have an answer for him.

Eerika is learning so quickly. She probably knows close to 20 signs now. And I can tell that it helps her frustration.  But oh she can throw one heck of a temper tantrum as well. 

She has also said her second word, which is "go" and she will also say "moi moi". 

While I do not think that Eerika is delayed in any way nor do I worry about it, at least yet, it is a great reminder about how individual each child's growth and development is. 

In spite of the fact that she doesn't talk, she seems older than her peers. Maybe her advanced motor skills and her wild nature and lack of fear makes me think that. Or maybe I am just biased as her mother:) 


These pictures are from our nature walk few weeks ago. 

We didn't make it too far before we started sweating too much.




1 comment:

Megan said...

Those little jeans are adorable! And I have to remind myself all the time that every baby grows differently. Camilla can say multiple words and is pretty good at expressing herself otherwise, but she still isn't walking at 15 months. She didn't even put weight on her feet until she was almost 1. It's soooo hard not to compare babies, but it's true that they all grow at different rates.