Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Oh the emotions


This morning was glorious. I woke up on my own at 6:15 and the temperature inside the house was 75 degrees. The weather had finally cooled down enough that we could open our windows at night and stop running the AC.

I read for few minutes in bed before Troy woke up. Saku eventually woke up and we enjoyed scrambled eggs for breakfast. Troy left for work and Saku got ready for Joy School. When Saku happily yelled his goodbyes to isi, Eerika woke up. 

The kids got dressed in their new hoodies just because they could actually wear them. 

While Saku was at Joy School, Eerika and I went to the park to work out. We facetimed with Ukki. I wore a new shirt because I could. We picked him Saku from Joy School and he had a great day. We read books. Eerika took a nap. Saku did some quiet time. We practiced our letters. We played with friends for a bit.  We made breakfast for dinner and enjoyed a fun bike ride. 

Adorable new hoodies from grandma. 

And then Saku got upset because isi happen to leave to scouts without giving him a hug. He started to cry so hard and so loud and I just couldn't take it. I do not know how to help him control his emotions. I do not know how to teach him that it is not okay to cry like that. He eventually calmed down when I gave him a big hug and held him close. I know usually the extra love helps out but I also feel that he needs to toughen up. I don't want him to be bullied for being so sensitive. I don't want him to struggle because little things seem like the end the world for him. And honestly, I don't want to listen to that crying when he isn't really hurt. It is that loud and obnoxious.  I told him that it was okay to be sad but it was not ok to cry like that. I know his sensitivity makes him the wonderful boy that he is. The boy that tells me that I look beautiful and gives hugs and kisses without being asked. 

Both kids are asleep, but I just feel so bad for having so little patience tonight.  So I look at that picture and I am grateful for these kids. And I will try to look for some resources to know how to handle such a sensitive and smart boy and how to give him the best help so he can try to control his emotions.

Did you know that parenting can be quite hard? And I know that I haven't even really started any of the really tough parenting...

4 comments:

Jesse and Camry said...

Have you tried telling him it hurts your ears to hear him cry like that? I had to do that with lyla, it really helped her learn it isn't okay to cry obnoxiously. I just did it out of honesty, and she totally understood the concept.

Camille said...

When I was a kid and imagined myself as a mom, I always pictured the mom tasks: making meals, changing diapers, doing laundry. I never thought about the personalities of my children and that has turned out to be the hardest part of parenting. Anyone can be a housekeeper but teaching kids in the best way for them is where it gets really tough. I like thinking that my kids were sent to me for a reason. And maybe I needed them for a reason too.

Burklund Blogger said...

Let me know what you figure out. We have emotional tantrums, too and don't know what to do for it.

Unknown said...

hey give ourselves some credit! i think the very first year of life is one of the hardest years of their lives. i guess every stage is hard in a different way.