Since we are going to Finland for six weeks, we didn't do much of "vacationing" this summer. However, we did take a five day trip to San Diego.
We had Grandpa's truck after a trip to Phoenix to pick up a new washer and dryer so we were driving that to San Diego while Grandma and Grandpa drove our car there and we swapped back.
This truck was not the most convenient road trip car. It was so so great for hauling our washer and dryer and getting some more sand for our backyard, but it was a bit tight inside the car for us and our stuff.
This road trip was also different since the truck didn't have a DVD player like our car. I embraced it and the kids did fabulous job entertaining themselves. OK, I entertained them by reading to them, singing to them and they got to play some games on our iPhones. We did watch about an hour of Curious George when we were an hour away from the beach house.
High lights of the road trip to San Diego
-Trying to have Eerika go pee in a disgusting porta-potty. She would not do it, so we ended up squatting behind it.
-Discovering that reading in the car does not make me car sick. This was huge for my entertainment and for the kids' entertainment. Saku loved the fact that I could read books to him.
![]() |
| Meeting isi at work so we could start our adventure. |
![]() |
| Snacks are a must! |
![]() |
| Bringing your own pillow is a must! |
| Wow an actual picture of Troy and I! |
We got to San Diego around 7 pm and headed out to get some food. Pei Wei seemed like a good and fast choice. It was good. The kids enjoyed it, which was great but it was not fast.
![]() |
| Chop sticks and fortune cookies make a great entertainment while waiting for food. |
![]() |
| Saku ate about 7 fortune cookies. |
We were "cool" parents, though our kids dont even recognize that yet and let them go for an evening swim at 9 pm at the hotel pool. I did not get in. The 75 degree weather was awesome but did not entice me to get into the pool. So I watched Eerika while Saku and isi did cool tricks in the water.
![]() |
| This is a blurry picture, but it shows what a strong swimmer Saku is. I am very proud of how hard he has work and practice and how well he swims. |
![]() |
| Eerika loved hanging out on the first step and putting her face in the water. And then she would go and warm up in the hot tub. |
It was about 10:30 pm when we finally got the kids to sleep. Yes, not ideal but I tried very hard to be a relaxed mom and be on a "vacation mode".







No comments:
Post a Comment