As the kids decided to climb on their play ground (my beautiful chair), I realized what a great lighting that area has since it is right next to the window. So we did a little photo shoot. As I snapped a picture of Eerika, i thought "with little photoshop, this would be amazing" and then I realized that I didn't want to do that. This will be controversial statement and I do not mean to offend anyone when I say this, but I sometimes get tired of looking at pictures of kids that are so photoshopped. I understand if you want to enhance the lighting or maybe there was a monstrous booger on the cheek that you wanted to delete. But do you ever look at pictures of kids that you know and while the picture looks great, it is so obvious that is photoshopped?
I would love to edit many pictures of myself, but is that real? I know I could use some help many times:) However, when it comes to my kids, I think they are just beautiful as they are.






How do you feel about photoshopping?
Please do not get offended by this post. I do not mean it to come across as judgmental. I have no photoshop skills and no software (except iPhoto). Maybe if I had a taste of it, I would want to do it.
This has been posted everywhere but in case you haven't seen
it, it's funny, eye opening and reassuring for those of us who look like mere mortals:)
6 comments:
I don't think your post came across as offensive at all. And I agree with you on the no photoshopping, even when there are boogers on somebody's cheek. The only thing I take out of photos is red eye, because my kids are not actually vampires. :)
Good luck with your running goal this year! I hope you are liking your new house too.
I totally agree with you. I like most of my pictures the way they are. I like photoshop to enhance elements like light and stuff. And, I don't mind photoshop for annual family pics and stuff like that. But for every day life, I like to see my kids just as they are: Messy, sloppy, fun, cute, and adorable
Honestly, it depends on what you mean by Photoshopped...if you're adjusting contrast and white balance, amen, I'm good with it. But beyond that, I'm pretty much a purist..if you didn't get bokeh with the lens you're using, I don't believe in adding it in by doing a Photoshop blur. I like to photograph children just as they are...no enhancements. Because, isn't the point to capture them as they are...even with boogers?!
The exceptions to that would be if you were converting your images to B&W or a vintage look, or if you were trying to create something more artsy, like with textures layered in...but again, for me, that would not be the norm for creating kids' portraits. It would usually be because I was doing something with a different purpose in mind.
OK, you asked. :)
What I mean by photoshopping is when the eyes are a different color or very much of an enhanced color of their real color or the skin looks so perfect. When I feel that the person is being edited. That is my only "complaint".
Anita, if I knew what you know, I think we would be along the very same lines for photoshopping. Making the picture better without really changing it. Does that make sense?
Your kids are so beautiful! Their eyes are amazing!
I love me some Photoshop, but I know exactly where you are coming from. The bruises, the food, the boogers all stay in my pictures (unless we are printing them big), because they are part of the memories and I would hate to erase them. I hate looking at kids' eyes that are scarily shiny, and unless you are going for artistic quality I think a lot of the edits are ridiculous. I just try to edit my pictures so that my kids beauty can shine through them, instead of being marred by my camera's horrible white balance and my slow fingers that don't get the correct exposure. Most edits take under 30 seconds and then I apply the same edit to the other 15 shots of the same thing. I feel good photography is about capturing the story and the memory, so I try to make mine do that, and I try to get my photos right in camera so that it takes as little PS as possible.
One thing I love about my 50mm f/1.8 is that I can open my aperture so that my messy house is blurred and my kids shine through. :)
i love photoshop. although im a beginner. sorry if you are sick of looking at my overly edited photos.
Post a Comment