Sunday, January 22, 2012

Out of My Comfort Zone

I have things that I am good at. If you ask me to do those things, I will be happy to do them. I will eat the cookies that you've baked, I will listen to your stories, I will go for a long run with you, I will read a book really quickly, I will read chapters and chapters worth of academic material and actually enjoy it. I will ignore your messy house because I know there are more important things in life than immaculate home.

And then there are things that are out of my comfort zone. Entertaining a large group of people makes me little jittery. Speaking in front of people makes me nervous. I always check twice whether I really need to call a doctor at night (while i'm at work) because I don't want to make them mad. I hate confrontation and debating.

As we moved into our new ward, I knew we would get a new calling (volunteer assignment that helps the congregation function smoothly). The list of possibilities is quite vast. It could be teaching the kids, maybe teaching the adults for sunday school. Maybe I would get to be the cannery specialist or ward bulletin coordinator. Many callings are in my comfort zone, and some are not.

As the bishopric member started to tell me that "the Lord wants you to serve as a young women's (Ok Im familiar with this) Camp Director" (WHAT?????).

I went to girl's camp each year. That is six years of camp. I enjoyed it on most years. One year I was a bratty teenagers who was too into boys to enjoy something awesome such as girls' camp. I think it is great. Do I feel like I fit the mold of a girls' camp director? No way! I am terrified. We have tons of girls in our ward. I feel so much responsibility.

Do I feel like this was completely inspired? Yes I do. Because it is so out of my comfort zone. If you look at my "resume", I don't think there are many things that would "qualify" for me for this "job". But it is what I am supposed to be doing this year. I will be learning so much. I think it will be hard for me. I think I will learn to love these girls. I know it will strengthen my testimony. I think it will help be build some amazing relationships in our new ward. Will I be praying a lot for inspiration? Yes, I will be.

6 comments:

Burklund Blogger said...

That is AWESOME!!! You'll have a lot of fun with it. Get those creative juices going... and if you need some ideas- give me a call. I love being creative with Young Women's stuff! :)

Anna said...

Wow! I know you can do it and also one of your strengths is that you enjoy a challenge:)

Mimi said...

That's what I am doing now too. It will be fun.

Suzanna said...

Awesome! You'll do a spectacular job and have an amazing time doing it. I currently serve as the primary chorister in my ward and after a few months of doing this I still freak out about it. It is way out of my comfort zone. But it's getting better.:)

Dan and Katie said...

Thats awesome! I serve in YW so now that we are in the same stake again we might just run into eachother.

anitamombanita said...

You'll be terrific! The girls will love you. And you'll learn a lot...maybe even get a glimpse ahead of what it'll be like to be mom to a teenage girl...;)

Hooray for you!!