Monday, August 10, 2009

Wanted: Self-Control

I want to look like this again. Ironically, I probably felt "too fat" at the time and now I would love to look like that. It just proves that it is very difficult to feel content about one's appearance; at least I have a hard time with just accepting my body. I don't know exactly how much I weighted when this picture was taken, but I think I would have to lose close to 20 pounds to look like this. That is a big number so I will just take it one work out and one pound at a time.

July 2006

I never posted this picture of my 38 week glorious belly. I can't remember what it felt to be this big and while I loved being pregnant(until 36 weeks or so), I am glad that I don't have to worry about hitting myself to table corners or having people turn sideways to let me pass them in hallways:)
June 2009

I don't believe in complaining about something if you don't do something about it. So today was the first day of Troy and my exercise regimen. We had a weigh-in, measured our waist and our fat percentage and each Monday morning will check how the numbers look. I don't want to go on a crazy diet, because I want to feel strong and healthy, so we will do it in an old-fashioned way of sweating the pounds off. Fortunately, Troy's brother is a fitness guru and is making exercise programs for us. I am really excited. I also will limit sweets for one day a week. When I was a kid, our family had a candy day, which meant that only on Fridays we were allowed to have candy. So I will have a candy day again:)

This morning I actually got up at 6 am and run for 3 miles. It felt great to be doing something. I still feel like a 60 year old woman when I run but I'm running and that is all that matters right now. Our goal is to work out every day except Sunday.

We are also trying to be good about sticking to our budget. Troy is starting school again in two weeks and he will work reduced amount of hours, which means that we will get little less money each month. This summer we had a bad habit of eating out a ton plus buying many unexpected baby things(like swaddling blankets that didn't work;)). While this did not shake our financial situation terribly, I feel like we should be saving more money. It's another challenge for me and I feel I need challenges with measurable results. While I'm frugal by nature, I have gotten much more relaxed about money and I feel like I need to resurrect some of my frugality.

Both of these goals will require a good amount of self-control but I think we will be more satisfied with our lives if we stick to our plans and accomplish our goals.

4 comments:

The Ensign's said...

It will happen. You'll be back to your old self in no time. If it takes 9 months to put on those pounds you should atleast give yourself 9 months to get it off. I sound like such a hypocrite right now because I'm thinking the same thing as you. I'm ready to be back to my pre prego weight today!
Anyways you'll be surprised at how much will come off once you're done nursing. I can't ever get back to my regular weight until I'm done and I've had a lot of people that have told me the same thing. Yet I will continue to try, but I know in the back of my head that I probably wont be that weight until I'm done nursing.
Good luck on your workout routine! If you're ever interested in a evening run call me. don't be wakin my butt up at 6am though! j/k

Unknown said...

Way to go! You look fabulous in both photos. Im already longing for a thinner physique so I have a feeling its gonna feel like a long road these next 3 1/2 months of pregnancy. Anyway, I didnt even know you guys went to UT, we need to see each other more often!

Megan Turnidge said...

Yes, yes. I used to feel too "fat" before I got pregnant but I would be absolutely thrilled now to have that body back! *sigh* I have very little discipline when it comes to exercise and food. :( So, here I sit 20 lbs over my goal weight.

I'm impressed you're already working out! You already look great, but you will be back down to your pre-preggo self in no time!!! Now rub off some of that motivation on me. hehe ;)

Brittany Cornett said...

I will be right there with you in a couple weeks. I know I have been lenient on eating sweets lately. I guess I figure I will be on a diet for the next three months so get it while its hot. The thing about pregnancy is that it screws with your metabolism. You dont know what you can expect and you may have been doing really good before the baby but lifting weights and doing heavy exercise is just not an option.
It sounds like you have good goals. I am with Janae on the not losing weight until after nursing for some reason. There are those people that lose weight while nursing but I wasnt one of them even though I worked out a ton.