Friday, October 10, 2014

Volunteering in the class room

Yesterday I went to volunteer in Saku's class room for the first time. It was so nice. My contribution to the classroom included stapling their journals together and filing papers for the teacher. I had expected to just do my thing and be ignored, but Mrs. Bohnsack would come time to time and chat with me and explain what the kids were doing and why they are doing it. 

The morning was in Chinese and yes, it was all in Chinese. They learned about their numbers, they had story time and talk about maps and different parts of the map. Chinese is a crazy language. It actually makes me feel a bit sad to think that unless some miracle happens, or a bunch of hard work, Troy and I won't know this language while Saku and possibly Eerika will know it. If it was Spanish or French or German, I feel like it would be more doable to learn it as well. 

Saku responded well to the fact that I was in the class room. He was obviously happy to have me there, but he kept working on his worksheets and wasn't distracted by my presence. 


No comments: