Friday, September 29, 2017

Growing Pains

Tonight Eerika and I had a good conversation about the difficulty of friendships and being who you are. She was sad because her friends had told her that they were bigger because their parents didn't come to their bedroom to sing a song and say a prayer with them. And a boy had called her "boyish girl" because she likes pokemon. Already at six, it is very hard to not want to try to fit in. She mentioned how she wanted to just say prayers by herself because she wanted to be big girl. And the other day, she wanted to be fashionable and cool with sunglasses so I talked to her about the importance of doing what YOU want to do and that is cool. 

I wish I could be better example of doing what I want to do and being who I want to be and not worry about what is cool. That is why I'm so grateful for friends like Starla, Heather, Missie and Natalie who always make me feel good about the person who I am. 

So I will be praying and trying to find answers to how to instill this confidence in Eerika that she will be proud to like Pokemon, do her own hair, want to dig at the playground and mud, sing Hamilton songs, loving writing notes and lists, not really liking barbies, dreaming of having a pet, climbing trees, wanting to play with friends all the time, truly striving to be kind at all times but having conflict of wanting to be right and in charge at the same time. 




It was a very sweet moment when Saku asked Eerika tonight "can I give you a hug" and then he said "you are awesome just the way you are". 

No comments: