Monday, February 18, 2013

Running way past Empty

This is a long post. When something major happens, I want to remember the good and the bad.

We woke up at the hotel at 4:30 am after a restless night of sleep. I had eaten a delicious pasta dish the night before and hydrated well throughout the day.  I got dressed and we headed out of our hotel right before 5 am. 
It was fun to have such a low bib number. They did the bibs on alphabetical order and Aura landed on number 11. 

Let's do it!

I ate bagel in the car and drank some powerade while we drove to the rodeo grounds. We were to be bussed from there and I was meeting Brian who was going to pace me for the race.

Around 5:30, we hopped on the school bus and spent the next 45 minutes in the bus. I got a tiny bit car sick as we entered the dirt road and the ride got little rough. 

We had about 40 minutes to kill before the race, we used the port-a-potties in the dark, attempted to get some water (they had run out), warmed up around the fires and made sure our phones, watches and shoe laces were all ready for the race.


We lined up around the 8 minute pace area. This was such a small race that they did not have pacers. Good thing, I had Bryan who was there just for me. I knew I was very lucky and that was even without any foreknowledge what would take place in the end of the race.

We started the race with a solid 7:50sh pace. We ran a packed, dirt road that was slightly downhill. While our pace was a bit aggressive for me, it didnt much effort so I felt good about the pace. We finished the first 6 miles at 8:01 average pace. It was funny how everyone around us was quiet and Brian and I were chatting it up. I am always the one running by myself for training or races so it was a fun experience.

Bryan was chatting a lot and the miles to 13.1 flew by and we clocked in 1:45:56. This is 11 minutes faster than my previous and only half marathon. We averaged 8:05 pace. I was not listening to any music and I felt okay with that.

Miles 13-18 are sort of a blur. Nothing too exciting happened. As we approach mile 19, we had to climb up a horrendously long hill. I literally kept telling myself out loud "you can do it" "you can do it" because otherwise, I do not think I could have gone up the hill.  We came down the same hill and while it helped to pick up some speed and lower our average pace, I was pretty exhausted by this point.

I would say that from mile 21 on, I struggled. This is not too uncommon for a marathon, but man, it was hard. The music was blasting in my headphones. I kept talking to myself. I was even catching some people, but it was not fun. I wanted to give up. I wanted to lay down. I wanted to cry. I had to pee. Every step was such a struggle and the miles seemed so long. There really are no adequate words to describe it. It was bad. When I got to an aid station at mile 25, my knees almost buckled but I was able to get going. I imagine how I would cross the finish line and cry and possibly even pee in my pants. After the race, Bryan told Troy that I started to slur my words at mile 23 and he couldn't understand if I was speaking Finnish or English and I dont really remember talking much at all. I guess it showed the state of my brain at this point.

The Collapse

We had less than a 1/2 mile to go and I thought to myself that no matter how terrible I feel or how slow my legs feel, I need to kick it so I can truly say to myself that I gave everything I got.  I knew that I had been going too slow for the past two miels to get my Boston Qualifying time, but I was not going to let that slow me down. I wanted to feel great about the race no matter what my time. So I tell my brain to tell my legs to start moving and I think about 3 seconds after than, my knees buckled and I went down.  According to my garmin, which was about 0.1 miles ahead of the distance, I went down at 25.95. Bryan caught me and assisted me to the ground so I didnt get any scrapes or injuries from my collapse. I dont think I lost consciousness, but would I really know if I lost for a second or two? I just remember that the medics from the race got there really fast and as they asked me questions and I answered them, I could hear my words slurring and I knew that I was in trouble.

As I was laying on the ground, slurring my words and staring at the blue sky. I honestly felt relief. Not because I didnt want to finish the race, but because it made sense how hard the last few miles had been. It hadn't been in my head and for a competitive person who requires a lot of herself. It really was a relief that I wasn't  just wimping out. I was alert and oriented and could answer all of their questions, and my only complaints were my dry mouth and tingling on the tip of my nose. and of course, the lovely slurring of my words.

In about 5 minutes, ten firefighters showed up. They checked my blood sugar, which was 56 (normal 70-110). My blood pressure was also low 106/50s and heart rate in the high 120s.  While I run low for my blood pressure, it probably should have not been that low after running 25 miles. I was also feeling nauseous every time I sat up.

So I was lucky enough to get an IV and in my hazy mind, I told him "I am not afraid of needles so just poke me" and I honestly did not even really feel it when he put it in. According to Troy, he jammed it in there. After my mind cleared, it did keep hurting and once it was removed, it was bruised.

Once I had an IV, they gave me dextrose (to boost my blood sugar), a bolus of 250 to help with the dehydration and some anti nausea medication of Zofran. I had never had any of those medications so it was a first for me.

While all of this was happening, I was acting crazy. I don't mean crazy as aggressive, I was laughing and trying to witty. Telling Troy to take video and post it on facebook, I would say things like "Troy look at all these firefighters", "I am not usually like this but I can't help myself", "I am trying to be a good patient. I know what it is like to have annoying patient". "I think this is how I would act if I were drunk. But the thing is when you are at a club and drunk, you look cute. And this (gesturing around my face) is not cute".

After I got my bolus in and those medications, they said that I could try to get up and walk to the finish line. They even offered to drive behind me for safety. However, when I got up my blood pressure dropped again. OK I did not get up, two fire fighters lifted up and once I stood there, my hips and knees completely locked up so I could not walk. So they said that I should go and be checked out the hospital. Two fire fighters lifted me up on a gurney and I got on for my first ambulance ride.

There sure were many firefighters for a one little runner girl. 

At this point, I felt fine but really sleepy. We spent two hours in the ED. They didn't really do much. They checked my pee for pregnancy (negative), and checked my sugar (back to normal) and my blood pressures (all fine) again to rule out rhabdomyolysis.

Fortunately, the hospital was right next to our hotel, so once we got released, we walked over to our hotel. I felt great at this moment.

So the problem was that I did not take in enough calories and water during the race and I got dehydrated and low blood sugar. And without fuel for my body, my body obviously couldn't run.

So how do I feel after training for a race, for 14 weeks, and not crossing the finish line?

Obviously there is a small sense of disappointment. No one wants to ran 25.9 miles and not be able to finish the last 0.3 miles of the race.

Red marker is where I collapsed and stopped my watch.  The finish line is around the corner just before the tennis courts.

But the major feeling that I have is a sense of accomplishment. I am proud of myself. Even if I shouldnt say that.

I literally ran as fast and as far as my body allowed me to run that day.  My brain wanted to stop after 20 miles and every step was a major struggle but I kept telling myself that I was strong enough and that I had what it takes to finish a race.

I know you can do "what ifs" all day long, but this is a major one for me so I am going to say it.  Even if I had walked from the place where I collapsed to the finish line, I would have finished under 3:40 and I would have been 10th female over all and 3rd in my age group. This gives me the confidence.  Even when I was dead tired, my average pace only dropped to 8:19 per mile.

So what I take from this race is a major personal record for the half marathon. Now I know that the dream of running fast and qualifying for a Boston Marathon is not "an ultimate dream and goal" but a very realistic one if I train hard enough again. I know that I didnt give up because I wasn't mentally strong enough. Actually I didn't give up at all. My body, for my safety's sake, decided to do it for me.

I will take few weeks off from training. I will take care of my body and then I will come up with the new plan.

I was so touched by the text messages, phone calls, facebook messages and emails that I received. I knew people were cheering for me and it meant so much to me.

Again, my Troy was the rock. Cheering for me at every station where they allowed for spectators. He took pictures and updated people on my status. He laughed at me when I was delirious while laying on the ground. He keeps telling me how proud he is. He might hate running but he makes my running accomplishments possible.  Fortunately, the kids were with Trent and Regina and didnt have to witness and get scared over my status or be stuck in the ED with us.

My mantra was  “You have what it takes but it will take everything you got" and I know I gave it all. 


I apologize for any typos. I just wanted to write this down and I am way too tired to spell check it today:)



Split
Time
Distance
Avg Pace
Summary3:37:19.525.968:22
17:59.01.007:59
27:48.31.007:48
37:56.91.007:57
47:54.91.007:55
57:52.71.007:53
67:51.61.007:52
77:51.31.007:51
88:01.91.008:02
98:10.51.008:11
108:16.71.008:17
118:16.71.008:17
128:17.71.008:18
138:04.11.008:04
148:03.61.008:04
158:21.81.008:22
168:15.31.008:15
178:23.01.008:23
188:24.91.008:25
198:28.61.008:29
208:12.61.008:13
218:18.81.008:19
228:26.41.008:26
238:49.41.008:49
249:06.31.009:06
259:21.91.009:22
2610:44.50.9611:08

11 comments:

Hilary said...

Wow, what a story! I am so impressed with your accomplishment and positive attitude. Beating your 1/2 time by 11 minutes is huge! I am totally sure that you will reach that Boston Marathon goal one of these days. I'm so glad you are okay and I hope you enjoy a few weeks of earned relaxation! I have to say, I am impressed with Troy and how supportive he is of you too. You are a lucky girl :)

anitamombanita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole Dyer said...

Wow, you are dang fast girl! I'm so proud of you and amazed that you were able to keep going even when you were dead tired. What a crazy experience - that you will never forget!! I wish I could have heard your funny and "witty" comments to the firefighters. You are hilarious. Congrats on everything!

anitamombanita said...


Wow, Eevi! One thing I know about you for sure is that you're no quitter. You are an amazing woman! So, rest up, get your mojo back and come run the Huntsville Marathon in September. It's a gorgeous (and fast) course. It's a Boston qualifier. The weather will be cool early fall temps. AND, you'll have family and friends nearby! Just do it!! xoxo

Casey and Brittny said...

Eevi, you are so wonderful. How amazing is it that your times were your best ever? Fantastic! When you qualify for Boston, let me know - I'd love to go back and be one of your cheerleaders!

Camille said...

That's a great story, thanks for including all the details. I could especially see you in those last few miles. I can't imagine how hard that must have been! I'm so glad you're proud of yourself--you should be!

Wendy said...

Good to have talked with you this afternoon! I hope that tomorrow the bruise is better and you've treated yourself to your favorite indulgence.

Bridget said...

Eevi, you are awesome! Great job for pushing yourself so hard. And what a great story.

SMT Family said...

You are a fantastic example of setting goals and making it happen. You trained and pushed your body and you really put your mind to the task. So impressive, Eevi! I hope you can take time to rest up and feel ready for any goals you have set.

Amanda said...

I think you're AMAZING! If I ever run one mile in 8 minutes I will be proud of myself. I can't imagine doing 26 that fast! Super awesome!

Unknown said...

your optimism amazes me! i am so lucky to have such an inspiring friend.