Our day started about 7:30 as Saku crawled into our bed. He did not remember that it was Christmas Day. Just few minutes after Saku climbed into the bed, I heard Eerika calling for me. As usual, she asked for some breakfast and then she remembered the presents. We asked Saku if he wanted to check out if joulupukki came and he dashed into the living room.
Isi was already up and so were grandma and grandpa, but grandma wasn't quite ready for presents.
The kids saw their scooters and their reaction was underwhelming. I think they were too focused on the wrapped presents. It was a bit disappointing to not get a better reaction; however, we didn't let that ruin our mood. Saku had a very difficult time waiting for grandma. She only took about five minutes to come to the living room, but it seemed like a forever to Saku.
Finally we saw grandma's happy face and the first present was unwrapped within 30 seconds.
Saku was eager to open presents. He wasn't too concerned what was in the present, but he just wanted to open them. It was pretty typical Saku behavior. Eerika was much more gracious at receiving presents. She was thrilled to use scissors to open presents and packaging.
We try to keep gifts to minimum. Both of the kids got a Razor, so there would be no fighting. Eerika got Cinderella and Saku got Planes movie. Eerika got wooden puzzles and Saku got a Star Wars Guess Who. Saku got legos and Eerika got a cupcake building set. There were also two other movies: Lego Batman and Cat in the Hat. We have never bought movies before but we were in great need to add to our selection as we have watched the same movies over and over again for the past four years. The previous movie selection was received as gifts.
Grandma got new pairs of pjs for both kids and new books to read. Eerika got a baking kit from Ikea with a rolling bin, cookies cutters, cookie sheet and cake pans. She also got an apron made by grandma. Saku got a backhoe that scoops on its own and makes noise. Grandma figured that he loves to dig and would like to have something to help him with it.
In all honesty, I was nervous as he didn't seem particularly thrilled about any of his presents at first. You don't want to have "wasted" your money nor do you want to feel like your kid is ungrateful. The only reaction was on the Planes movie as he said "this is just what I wanted." However, once we said there were no more presents, he started working on his legos and loved them. Then we went on razor ride and he had a great time. I think he was just anxious to see what was next and couldn't settle down enough to enjoy any of the presents.
Throughout the day Eerika played with her cupcake kit and enjoyed coloring with her new (washable) markers on the Hello Kitty book. Saku did some coloring, flew his lego airplane around and took turns riding his Razor and bike.
There were presents that didn't get much attention, which means that we can play with them tomorrow and they were will be new and exciting.
I would have to say that their favorite thing was McKenna and Hayden coming over. They loved playing with their cousins. Even though there is a big age cap, McKenna and Hayden play so nicely with Saku and Eerika. I am so grateful for it.
At the end of the night when we asked them what was their favorite present, Saku answered "Razor" and Eerika answered "cupcakes".
| Eerika giving grandma a snuggle while sporting her new vest. |
| Saku showing off his backhoe truck. |
| Christmas was good to Troy. |
| The boys working on legos. |
| Eerika working on her new puzzle. |
| We finally got dressed around 11 am. |
| She looked like such a big girl with her hair pulled back and bow on her head. |
| Joulupukki ate our cookies and Rudolf drank the milk. |
| Saku quickly started cruising on his Razor. |
Troy got a GoPro helmet video camera so we can re-live his skiing adventures. He was completely surprised by the present, which was awesome. He said that GoPro had felt so "unattainable" that he hadn't even done any research on it. When we told dad what Troy got, dad asked if it came with insurance. Troy thinks that having a sport action camera means he needs to do more extreme activities now. He also got spoiled by his parents with an air compressor.
Troy did a great job giving me surprise presents. I had asked for new pjs and he found the most classy and comfortable ones. I would seriously stay in these for the next week if that was socially acceptable. I also received arm warmers (for running), warm up pants, stick to massage my muscles after a run, a new rolling bin and my favorite raspberry sour cream pancake mix. I love surprises and I wasn't expecting so many presents so I truly felt the magic of Christmas surprises.
I FaceTimed with dad and Paula and really enjoyed our conversation. I also checked in with Mio and Bailey via FaceTime. Barb prepared a delicious Christmas dinner with roast, potatoes, cheese broccoli and cauliflower plus a salad.
This Christmas felt very relaxed. Troy and I enjoyed talking with the adults, the kids enjoyed a movie night and playing with cousins. I ate too much as usual. The kids got to bed way too late. This all sums up to be a great Christmas.
No comments:
Post a Comment