Wednesday, December 11, 2013

December 6th: Finland's Independence Day and Christmas Concert

On December sixth we celebrated Finland's Independence Day. It is a bit difficult to get into a holiday that seems very far removed as we don't have any other Finnish people nearby. 

I talked to the kids how that day was Finland's birthday and they got their freedom from Russia. Or as I put it in 4 and 2 year old terms, "Finland got to be their own boss".  I explained that there was a battle and Finland ended up winning because they didn't give up. I think I could give a lecture on Finnish national history. As a tangent, I should say that Saku woke up the following night with a night terror about someone dying in a battle. I hadn't mentioned anything about people dying but the kid has a sharp mind and put two and two together. 

We happen to be in the need to go to the grocery store so we ended up buying brownies and ice cream to make a birthday cake for Finland. Eerika wanted to put it in their airplane to ship to the Finland so Ukki and Mummi could eat it.

We ate a steak dinner with baked potatoes, green beans and delicious feta salad with raspberry lemonade. There ended up being too much food, which isn't too much of a surprise. 


The elf instruction for this day was to perform a Christmas concert for isi, as he got home from Seattle that night. Saku acted out the nativity story with our little people figures and the kids sang "In a Little Stable".

The night was finished with brownies and ice cream and Troy putting the kids to bed:)

Sadly enough I did not take any pictures...


On a side note, I should mention that Corrye watched the kids so I could go running outside after running on the treadmill for four days. It was hard because of the hills but also so refreshing to be running outside. A good friend knows what I need. And I was smart enough to take her up on her offer. 

No comments: