Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Cornell Elves

Bridget

First time over at the Palmer's

We enjoyed a fun dinner with the Palmer's and had been talking for few hours when Bridget's oldest daughter got sick. She had been sleeping on Bridget and started to vomit all over Bridget. I can't remember the exact words, but Bridget pretty much told Miriam to keep vomiting on her because it would make her feel better. If there is a trophy for a dedicated mother, Bridget deserved one that night. We left shortly so the girls could get cleaned up. I hope they didn't feel weird about it because we were just in awe with Bridget's maternal caregiving. At the time, we were still the couple without kids. Now I can relate to this, yet it does not make it any less respectable. (Bridget, I hope it's OK that I shared this).

High I.Q

Bridget is smart. I don't think smart really covers it. It's more like she is on a higher intelligence level than most people. However, she does not make you feel dumb. While I know she enjoys doing things such as reviewing books, she gets along so well with those of us who just read books to enjoy them. There is a talent of being smart and yet allowing other people to be comfortable around you. When Bridget comments on my blog, I feel like my story or writing must have been a good one. Bridget used to edit dictionaries. Honestly, I know someone had to do that, but it's pretty cool that I KNOW someone who is smart enough to do it. I rely on google to check my word choices and spelling. And now I'm wondering how many little grammatical errors I have already made on this post.;)

Bridget, Magdalena, Miriam and Jeremy

A degree of understanding

As I struggle with the decision whether or not to go to work, I feel like very few people actually understand where I'm coming from. While Bridget and I have not had a conversation about this topic, I feel like she understand the conflicting desire to use my degree and develop my career while being the kind of mom that I want to be. Sometimes it's enough to know that someone understands you even if it doesn't change anything nor does the person give you any advice.

Few similarities

Bridget and I share an appreciation for good public libraries, public transportation (hello, she took the bus to get to her prenatal appointments), not spending too much money on things and Finnish chocolate. There are people who like the Finnish chocolate that I share with them; however, Bridget is the only one who has shown the degree of appreciation for it that I believe it deserves.

Bridget, Troy and I would always (really, always) say "We really like Bridget and Jeremy" after each time we hung out. Too bad, the times were too few and now you guys are gone. Enjoy the beautiful white Christmas time while we are stuck with the dirt and the sand.



Christina

A rock star mom

Christina had her a little boy Luca (what a sweet name) last spring while she was finishing her first year at Cornell law. Honestly, I have no idea how she does it. I count it a successful day when I get few chores done, have a happy baby, worked out and showered and had a dinner ready when it was time to eat. ANd hopefully had enough energy to be a happy wife. The idea of memorizing and learning so much important stuff while juggling the demands of motherhood just blows my mind. She will be doing an internship at Harvard Law next summer. I know it isn't easy for her to get everything done. This just shows what a strong and smart lady is she.


Roberto, Luca and Christina

No hiding behind the bushes

Christina is honest and straight forward. She doesn't try to make something sound better than it is. She manages to do this without being rude, which is a serious talent. In high school, we used to joke that Sonja (Christina's sister) and I were the nice ones(read: people pleasers) while Anna(my sister) and Christina just said whatever they wanted. I would love to see her argue a case in front of a judge. Plus a compliment from Christina was always highly valued since she only said what she meant.

Cheerleading

CHristina and I tried out for cheerleading at the same time. I was a base and she was a flyer. I remember doing stunts and seeing Christina's tiny legs shaking as we were holding her in the air. Cheerleading wasn't really my thing, but I had fun with Christina while doing it. Plus we both enjoyed watching the football players; yes, I was such a typical high school girl.

Fellow European

Christina and I share the love for European things. She is also the only one of her family that is in the States right now. She speaks English, German and Spanish fluently. I believe she knows French really well and maybe even Italian. We will have to compare notes on teaching our little boys multiple languages.

Chrisi, I think you are amazing. When I see pictures of you and little Luca, my heart just melts.
Have a fabulous Christmas in Germany with all of your family:)

1 comment:

Bridget said...

Yes, this totally made my year (or two). You got the vomit story right and don't worry, it was only awkward for us as far as it was awkward for you. Thanks so much for this post. You are too nice and I might have to steal this idea. :)