Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Elf who cuddles

Sonja

German/ Paraguayn as my first "American" friend

Sonja was officially my first friend in California. We were in the same geometry class as well as in the same drama class. That's right, I took drama in my first semester at an American high school. So here were were, two European girls busting out monologues in front of other students. Sonja had been in the States for a while, so her English was fine. However, it was comforting to have someone who understood my language issue. We also studied together for geometry. It was so nice to have someone to hang out, even if it involved math. I remember that Sonja actually called me on my birthday that year. I have no idea how she even had taken a note that it was my birthday, but she did. I didn't really have friends to eat lunch with, so she invited me to eat with her friends Sara and Sheeva. These girls became my best friends in high school.


Hopeless romantic

Sonja and I shared the same romantic notion of love during high school. We talked about marrying our high school boyfriends after we had dated them for few months. And it didnt seem ridiculous at the time. We would listen to love songs for hours and talk about boys. I never worried that she would think that my feelings or problems with boys were stupid. Anything and everything was shared between us. We both had our share of long distance relationships and could understand the difficulties that came with them. We would actually cuddle sometimes. This was 100% platonic and non-lesbian. Many of you know that Troy and I cuddle a lot and I'm sure Sonja makes Fabian cuddle her as well.


Party party

Sonja knows how to party; however, you would never know it because she knows how to balance her life. She is about to graduate from medical school in Germany and has always excelled in everything she has done. However, she can be the life of the party. Sonja got the smoking latin body and she knows how to shake it on the dance floor. I loved getting ready and going to high school dances because we had so much fun. Another thing I loved about Sonja is the fact that she would party, yet, she always respected my choice to be the designated driver or not go to a party where people were drinking.

Slightly Jealous

Sonja has traveled all over the world. She has done medical internships in Africa and Latin America. She has lived in three different countries and visited so many more. She adjusts so well. She makes instant friends no matter where she goes. She knows multiple languages and seems to adapt to different cultures so well. You would never know that she is just visiting a country because she seems to fit with anyone and everyone. I'm not going to lie about this. I am totally jealous of all the cool places that she has seen and experiences that she has been part of. Maybe one day we can take a girls' trip somewhere exotic.

Sonja, you are one of the best friends a girl could ask for. Thanks for being my fellow FOB and making those high school years so fantastic. I am so proud of you and can't wait to see you this summer. I know your 2010 will be fabulous!

No comments: